Author Topic: DHCP to two subnets & multiple public IPs with the same Gateway  (Read 2108 times)

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
First thing, I just found out I got eBox when it was released to the public. Kinda funny actually since I was given the link randomly by someone. Congrats on the 1.0 ISO people! :D Great job.

I have two configuration issues.

FIRST ISSUE

PROBLEM

I found out that the DHCP server fails to start if you have one physical interface giving out IPs to two subnets even though one of the subnets is only statically assigning IPs.

EXAMPLE

eth0 = 1.1.1.1
Assigns IPs based on MAC address: 1.1.1.2 and 1.1.1.3

eth0:1 = 2.2.2.2
Assigns IPs to a range of IPs: 2.2.2.3 - 2.2.2.254

QUESTION

Do I need bridging or static routes to do something like this? I looked up bridging in the forums and saw a bunch of IP table stuff, I don't really understand.

SECOND ISSUE

PROBLEM

I can receive multiple IPs from my ISP, but I need to DHCP them first to use them. I am assigned them based on MAC address. Sometimes they have the same Gateway, sometimes not.

EXAMPLE

I have eth0, eth1, and eth2. eth0 gets 64.4.4.4 and eth1 gets 64.6.6.6 both assigned to Gateway 64.1.1.1 and eth2 gets 65.5.5.5.

QUESTION

I'm guessing I need to setup static routes, but I'd kind of like this to be dynamic where I can change which public IP is going to a machine on-the-fly say if I have a public server on 64.4.4.4 and another on 64.6.6.6, but I need to take down the server on the machine using IP 64.6.6.6, so then I have to have the machine using 64.4.4.4 change to 64.6.6.6 or have it use both IPs at the same time. This is the kind of stuff I'd like to know how to do.