Author Topic: Samba Configuration - Zentyal 2.3  (Read 11511 times)

dpaulat

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Samba Configuration - Zentyal 2.3
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:08:44 am »
I have just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and installed several Zentyal 2.3 packages.  I am having difficulties setting up Samba.  I cannot change any General Settings, they are all fixed values:

Code: [Select]
Server Role:
Administrator password: Zentyal1234
Domain: zentyal.lan
Workgroup: ZENTYAL-DOMAIN
NetBIOS computer name: <my server name>
Description: Zentyal File Server

I have also setup a single share, and have "Guest Access" checked.  However, when I try to access the server from my Windows 7 machine, it still requests a username and password.  I open my smb.conf file, and see the following:

# Global parameters
[global]
    workgroup = ZENTYAL-DOMAIN
    netbios name = <my server name>
    server string = Zentyal File Server
    interfaces = lo,eth0
    bind interfaces only = yes
    passdb backend = samba4
    log level = 1
    log file = /var/log/samba/samba.log
    name resolve order = wins, host, bcast
    server role = dc
    realm = zentyal.lan

[sysvol]
    path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol
    read only = No

[netlogon]
    path = /var/lib/samba/sysvol/zentyal.lan/scripts
    read only = No

# Shares
[default-share]
    comment = Default Share
    path = /home/ebox/samba/shares/default
    browseable = Yes
    read only = No
    force create mode = 0660
    force directory mode = 0660

I am far from a Samba expert, but I am expecting to see at minimum a guest ok or public flag in here, but do not.  I have gotten Samba working and talking with my Windows 7 machine in the past (always with GUIs), and this is my first go at Samba4.

Update 5/1/2012:
No errors are reported in the Zentyal log regarding Samba.  The following post leads me to believe this should already be fixed:

http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=9901.0

But I am running the latest versions, and this is not the case:
samba4 - 4.0.0~alpha18.dfsg1-4ubuntu2+zentyal1
zentyal-samba - 2.3.5

My samba.log is riddled with the following:

[2012/05/01 20:32:18,  0] ../lib/util/util_runcmd.c:334(samba_runcmd_io_handler)
  /usr/sbin/samba_dnsupdate: RuntimeError: kinit for <my server name>$@ZENTYAL.LAN failed (Cannot contact any KDC for requested realm)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:40:59 am by dpaulat »

skyflyer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Samba Configuration - Zentyal 2.3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 09:41:35 pm »
I'm in the exact same boat.  I've been playing around with this for the past week and am still scratching my head.  I'm also new to Samba (and Linux in general) but have now replaced my DSR-500 router with my new Zentyal machine... excited to say it was set up enough to go into use.  I've spent the last two nights transferring 2T off a NAS box onto Zentyal's 4TB LVM array that i've set up.  Now I'm working on Samba and trying to edit config files.  There is a lot of Samba3 help out there but not much in the way of Samba4.  I've also noticed that Zentyal keeps overwriting my smb.conf changes so I'm not sure what is going on there and/or how to prevent it. 

Here is the thing.  My  Kubuntu 12.04 machine can access the shares no problem however my WinXP and BoxeeBox HTPC are having trouble.   They can see the shares but aren't allowed access to the information.  So I'm not sure what exactly needs to be changed with smb.conf file and/or how to get Zentyal to set it up.

So far I really like Zentyal and the network speed increase I've noticed.  Write speeds from Kubuntu machine to my DNS-323 were around 13 MB/s and now I'm reaching almost 60 MB/s to Zentyal.  Very awesome. 

Intel i3-2125
Asus P8Z68V-LX
8GM Ram 1600
30Gb SSD - System
(2) 2TB HDD
(2) Intel Gigabit Network Cards

Mittelerde

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:21:37 am »
Hi,
You have to edit the
smb.cfg.mas file to store your changes permanent

/usr/share/zentyal/stubs/samba

christian

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:43:58 am »
You have to edit the
smb.cfg.mas file to store your changes permanent
/usr/share/zentyal/stubs/samba

Pay attention this it will be permanent till next Zentyal package update...
If you do want something permanent, better use hooks.

skyflyer

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 10:35:10 pm »
Great..smb.conf.mas is exactly how smb.conf is laid out.  Pretty cool.  Gives me some more options to play around with. 

Strange thing is with direct search on Linux boxes (\\server\Share) I can access info without a username/password.  I don't have guest access checked in the file sharing section.  And on Windows XP machine the server isn't listed in network places and if I type in \\server\share it brings up username/password dialog box but will not let me go any further.  Is this a settings issue or due to Samba4 still being in Alpha?  Also, if I do a network places search in Ubuntu I don't see the server being listed either.

Should I go ahead and add any options to smb.conf.mas?  If so does anyone have any suggestions?

cf

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 07:07:21 am »
Just stumbled upon this (a couple of months old)... I am a bit of a newbie too, but I would look into the hooks as mentioned above, as if you upgrade Zentyal, your changes might get wiped...

http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/HowTo/CustomizeConfigFiles

C