Author Topic: Zentyal as router  (Read 4708 times)

limburatorul

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Zentyal as router
« on: March 30, 2012, 01:25:39 am »
This is my first post. And I am making it because I can't find anything that could help me in the documentation.
I want to set up Zentyal to act as a router connecting directly to my PPPoE connection and the second NIC set it for internal network through a switch.
I've set up my interfaces accordingly. Eth0 is the internal NIC, eth1 the external one. Gave my internal NIC the IP 192.168.1.1 which is also used as a gateway on my computer. Set user and pass for PPPoE. The eth1 interface connects, so this is set up ok. But i don't have internet access either from my Zentyal server or any computer on the network.
I written the DNS server manually since it does not grab them automatically.
I tried with firewall on and off, no result.
I tried pinging google and the error seemed like there is something with the DNS but I haven't tried accesing a direct IP instead of web address.
Do i have to use another IP for my internat NIC as the gateway already says it has the *.*.*.1 IP? I believe I tried this already.
If anyone can shed some light on this matter please.

Thank you in advance

christian

Re: Zentyal as router
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:34:01 am »
What I suggest is that you first fix connectivity to internet from Zentyal server before looking at internal network.
Once Zentyal will access to internet as expected, then you can add client, configured DHCP, HTTP proxy...

Be sure Zentyal uses public DNS server  ;) ;) and also use traceroute command to get better understanding. ((available in network/tools section of Zentyal menu)

limburatorul

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 11:40:38 am »
That is what i am trying to do first. On my last try it managed to ping google.com but wont open the page.
I was hoping to something close to a tutorial. Or someone saying where I did wrong and what is the right thing.

Thanks

christian

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:58:57 pm »
- what king of IP do you get from your ISP?
- is there any router between you external interface (eth1) and internet ?
- what is the default route on Zentyal server itself?

limburatorul

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 03:28:27 pm »
I have a dynamic IP from my ISP. Changes at every connect.
There is no router between Zentyal and the outside (this is what i am trying to do, replace my router with Zentyal)
And the 3rd question I don't get. What do you mean? I made no routing rules if this is what you mean.

Thanks

limburatorul

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:31:23 pm »
So i did a fresh install on another hard drive and I got internet working on my Zentyal server.
Do I have to make routing rules in order to have internet working in LAN also?

christian

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 06:46:48 pm »
no. This is my point with the third question. It aimed to ensure that on Zentyal server, default route was pointing to internet, not intranet.

limburatorul

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 07:21:49 pm »
There were no routes. Should I leave it like that or if not what should I put there.
Do you know any step by step tutorial for this? I find it very hard with PPPoE. Now it works, now it doesn't. Sometimes i can ping google, try and acces the site by ip and works, sometimes I can't ping anything but I can open pages.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:26:41 pm by limburatorul »