Author Topic: Promote Zentyal BDC to PDC  (Read 7143 times)

royceb

Promote Zentyal BDC to PDC
« on: July 25, 2014, 09:34:09 pm »
Is there a process I'm missing for an easy way to promote a Zentyal BDC to a PDC (both units in the domain are Zentyal 3.* based)?

royceb

Re: Promote Zentyal BDC to PDC
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 02:53:39 am »
Bump. 

For a company stressing Windows AD compatibility/replacement this is a yes, no or some explination answer.

faustotex

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Promote Zentyal BDC to PDC
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:59 pm »
Royceb,

From all I've read in the Samba4 traps and done with Zentyal since the early v 3.0 releases, there is no difference between a Domain Controller (DC) and Additional Domain Controllers (ADC), EXCEPT that the DC is the only machine that was originally involved in provisioning or establishing the domain and all ADCs have been estabished by replication from the DC.

Although Zentyal will forever show this distinction in the Domain -> Settings page of its web-GUI, I suppose - to answer your question - that the machine holding the PDC Emulator FSMO Role is the "pdc".  If you wish to promote an ADC to DC, move all FSMO Roles accross to the new machine.  This could be done with "samba-tool domain dcpromo ..." (this never worked for me) or with "samba-tool fsmo transfer ... | seize ..." (has worked for me).