Author Topic: [SOLVED] "Your session could not be verified" in eGroupware  (Read 5854 times)

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] "Your session could not be verified" in eGroupware
« on: October 27, 2009, 08:07:16 am »
The topic subject pretty much explains my problem. I decided to try out eGroupware in my eBox 1.2, which is otherwise working fine, but even after all the steps it requires (activating modules, setting virtual mail domain etc.) I cannot log in due to the error message about my session.

It definitely recognizes the user names I've tried, because a non-existent user produces "Bad login or password" instead.

I managed to log in into the setup portion, though, so obviously it's not completely broken. I changed nothing besides adding a new interface language, having read that changes might conflict with the default settings created by eBox. The official eGroupware documentation says:

Check IP address of all sessions: This security feature prevents sessions from being hijacked by verifying whether the session is emanating from the same IP. Does not work necessarily if the attacker is using the same network.
Switch this off if users are regularly thrown out randomly: "Your session could not be verified".

...but I've seen no setting like that anywhere, and the behaviour definitely isn't random. Any idea what might be wrong?

Edit: By the way, I disabled some of the default eGroupware applications (felamimail, emailadmin), because I don't need email support.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 01:24:32 pm by martinique »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: "Your session could not be verified" in eGroupware
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:31:25 pm »
I don't know if this is going to work, but try the following:

Execute /usr/share/ebox-egroupware/ebox-egroupware-regen-db

This will delete your current egroupware database and create a new one.

Add a NEW user and try to login with it.

Hope this helps to clarify the issue...
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:56:21 pm »
It worked, although the language I added earlier was gone.

If this means I have to recreate all user accounts on the server, I'd rather hang myself with the nearest network cable. :o Please tell me there's another way to enable eGroupware for existing users.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 03:33:35 pm »
No, you don't have to recreate the users. That was only a test to see if that worked.

Then, let's see. Now you can access with the new user but not with the existing ones? Try to reapply the permission template to your existing users to see if now they can login. If you really have hundreds of users don't worry, it's possible to make scripts ;) But first let's see if that works.

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 07:43:09 am »
Excellent, that worked too. :D I do have so many user accounts that my right hand will be a goner if I click through all of them, so a script would really come in handy. I'm pretty familiar with shell scripting, so a little sample should suffice to get me started.

And while we're at it, how do I disable eGroupware for certain users/groups? Perhaps create a template with no permissions at all?

Oh, and one more thing; Since I won't be using the email features in eGroupware, can I safely ignore the "The mail account of the user must be username@eboxdomain in order to be used by eGroupware" warning?

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:01:33 am »
Yes, a empty template would work for not allowing access to any application.

And if you are not going to use the email features yo don't have to set anything related with it.

martinique

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 12:31:14 pm »
Great, thanks for the info. I discovered something wonderful while experimenting with user and group settings; Instead of clicking through all my users, I found out that I could simply set the permissions template for each group, which allowed users in those groups finally access eGroupware. So no scripting needed. ;D

My eBox setup just became another tad bit more useful. Thanks a lot, and keep up the great work!