Author Topic: leftovers  (Read 2022 times)

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
leftovers
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:09:28 pm »
When I uninstall a Zentyal module, it doesn't perform a great job at housekeeping. A number of configuration files and scripts are left in the system causing unexpected behavior. That happens even after purging the corresponding zentyal module.
For instance, in 2.0 I tested the mail systems and after purging them I still had configuration files and entries in LDAP.
In 2.2 I tested the IPSec module, and despite completely purging it I still have a bunch of init scripts and configuration files all over the place.
The system should be able to do some housekeeping and clean up after itself when modules are removed, otherwise it may turn out a nightmare.
It would be interesting to know how many people have noticed this issue, or they have just learnt to live with it.

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: leftovers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:33:35 am »
Hi Josep,

yes, there is some space for improvement on module removal, we hope to address these issues for 3.0.

Regards,

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:49:19 pm »
Glad to hear that!  :)

jjmontes

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 02:57:02 am »
Yet I think it would be a bit risky to simply remove and purge every package that's no longer used by Zentyal... imagine that someone added extra information to the LDAP... it would be risky to simply delete all that. Perhaps it should be root task to finally remove unused packages, or at least Zentyal should ask for confirmation to remove packages when uninstalling modules?

christian

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:00:57 am »
What has to be distinguished (although I do understand this is not that easy), is difference between package itself and user data.
Taking the example you share:
- what Josep describes is mail package.
- you (valid) point is to said "what if mail address in LDAP is used elsewhere?"

You're both right  :)
Goal is not to remove or even alter LDAP content, at least part of LDAP that is user related, but to ensure that all components related to mail are removed, including init scripts. This has to be done otherwise Zentyal users can't safely (if I can say so) test any module on live platform without reinstalling everything. I know live platform is not supposed to be used for test purpose but real life is not that simple  ;D

I remember months ago I made some transparent proxy tests then reverted back: Zentyal behaviour however was not the same as prior transparent proxy settings. This is not "package removal" but you got the idea  :)