Author Topic: First Zentyal 2.3 installer available (featuring Samba4)!  (Read 7025 times)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
First Zentyal 2.3 installer available (featuring Samba4)!
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:48:59 pm »
Hi Zentyal community,

We're glad to announce the availability of the first Zentyal 2.3 installer, featuring Samba4! You can download the new installer for 32- and 64-bit architectures from our Beta Downloads page. You can also install the 2.3 packages on an existing Ubuntu Server 12.04 following the instructions on our Installation Guide.

Zentyal 2.3 is a development version based on Ubuntu Server 12.04 beta and it will become Zentyal 3.0 (next stable release) in September 2012. Until then we are going to frequently release new versions so you can help us testing the new features and improvements.

The most relevant change since the release of the first Zentyal 2.3 packages is the Samba4 integration. Note that this is the first alpha version and some features are still missing, but we wanted to make it available for testing as soon as possible. Don't hesitate to report any problem you encounter!

In general, please remember that Zentyal 2.3 is a beta version and it is not intended for production environments. Having said that, we greatly appreciate your help in testing this version in order to make Zentyal 3.0 the best release ever!
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

robb

Re: First Zentyal 2.3 installer available (featuring Samba4)!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:52 pm »
I just tested the installer with a basic installation. I went for a straightforward install in a VM (VirtualBox)

My laptop has very limited resources (C2D 2GhZ + 2 GB Ram) and even with this little amount of resources I was ready installing, configuring and updating in less than 1 hour. (installed packages: Infrastructure, Office and Communication)

Installation went without error and went very smoothly.
I made some screenshots of the installationproces. I will add them later.

I have not seen a smoother beta installer than this before. Also the speed of the webgui has improved a LOT.

I encourage everybody to try the new installer and post back their findings. It was even a joy to go through this one!

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:10 am »
Since" the last update of Ubuntu server 12.04 and Zentyal 2.3 update, Samba does not start up anymore at boot time.

Best regards,
Ian

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:03:55 am »
Ian, if you had previous Zentyal 2.3 packages installed, I'm afraid you'll have to do a fresh install. Upgrades in a beta version like 2.3 are not guaranteed to work.

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 10:10:40 am »
Thanks for the info.

I have installed a new server with the latest release 2.3.
Now the Samba server starts again, but it is not possible to change the settings of the PDC.

Best regards

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:08:18 am »
ian, please, read this topic about your problem: http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,9901.0.html

thanks for the testing!