Author Topic: Critical(?) eBox 1rc2 () problems  (Read 4904 times)

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Critical(?) eBox 1rc2 () problems
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 11:32:41 am »
Hi,

Now suddenly 90manageEBoxLogs is using 2GiB of RAM. Except we only have 512MiB and machine has ground to a halt.
Anything we can provide to help fix?

As an intermim solution you can move  /etc/cron.hourly/90manageEBoxLogs to another place to disable it. And you should disable the log module on eBox too while we find out what happens. It would very helpful if you let us take a look at your logs. Running the following command you will dump the logs to /tmp/eboxlogs.bz2

Code: [Select]
sudo su postgres -c "pg_dump eboxlogs" | bzip2 > /tmp/eboxlogs.bz2

Thanks

RoboJ1M

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:40 pm »
Can't attach logs, too big (578k compressed)
Can I have an email address PM'd please?

Thanks,

J.

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 02:16:36 pm »
Sure,

juruen at ebox-platform dot com

RedEagle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 04:55:52 pm »
Hy guys!

Any news about this matter? I'm having the same problem with 90manageEBoxLogs, since I upgraded from 0.25 to 1.0. I'm purging my logs to see if it is any help...

Thanks

RedEagle

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 01:09:34 pm »
Hello guys it's me again :D

Just wanted to say that after purging my logs (older that 15 days was enuff), 90manageEBoxLogs now is much lighter.
When I first tried to purge the logs apache2 process ran like crazy. Because I'm runing ebox on a VM and only attributed 128MB RAM to it, the apache2 process eventually got killed since the VM ran out of memory... same thing happened to 90manageEBoxLogs. The strangest thing, was that not even one log was purged.
To try and overcome the problem, I set the RAM of the VM to 512MB and voila, the logs where finally purged after 20 minutes or so...
After this, I reseted the RAM back to 128MB and 90manageEBoxLogs is much lighter now and is never killed...

In light of this, my advice to anyone having problems with 90manageEBoxLogs is to keep purgin the logs 90 days old, 30 days old and so on... When the purging process becomes quick, there's a big chance that the problem is solved. At least that's my view on this subject and it worked for me  ::)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:12:46 pm by RedEagle »

Mammut

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 11:36:05 am »
I have the same Problem with the Version 1.2.2
Purging the logs (90 days back) last one hour and more and it do not help. The other processes are nearly stopped. Sometimes it is not possible to login at console.
I have error/warning/info/debug messages in the ebox.log file:
Code: [Select]
WARN> ConfigureLogDataTable.pm:184 EBox::Logs::Model::ColnfigureLogDataTable::updateRowNotify - Domain: samba does not exist in logs
DEBUG> LogFiltering.pm:70 EBox::Events::Model::Watcher::LogFiltering::new - Missing argument: tableInfo
i moved the file 90manageEBoxLogs from /etc/cron.hourly to another location. Then this script is running no longer.
However i can start the eboxlogs purging at the webinterface. Then the computer is slowing down.
Is it possible to purge the logs manually?
Can sombody help me with this problem
Thanks a lot
Manfred

dragonslayr

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2009, 06:16:48 pm »
As luck would have it, I am now experiancing this issue on a production machine. Takes down 25 users..   :(

I told someone how to restart the machine just now after it happening the other day and I found the server with 100% utilization.

I'll try to post info when I get to the jobsite..  If there are more hints, ideas that got posted here beforehand, that'd be nice..  :)

Not enough time in the day...

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2009, 06:19:50 pm »
Hi dragonslayr,

What eBox version do you have?

If you see your cpu usage at 100% try to identify the process. If it's ebox-loggerd try just:

sudo /etc/init.d/ebox logs restart

dragonslayr

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 06:26:56 pm »
Hi dragonslayr,

What eBox version do you have?

If you see your cpu usage at 100% try to identify the process. If it's ebox-loggerd try just:

sudo /etc/init.d/ebox logs restart

Hi Javi!
ebox:
  Installed: 1.2.9-1ubuntu1~ppa1~hardy1

This is the first chance I've had to get to the job site. The problem has not reared it's ugly head since my other message on here. However, the machine seems to run a few days before the problem happens again. Always in the log is the cron.hourly line and that's it..

I am exploring the system and hopefully discover something..

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 04:38:50 pm »
Because I'm runing ebox on a VM and only attributed 128MB RAM to it, the apache2 process eventually got killed since the VM ran out of memory... same thing happened to 90manageEBoxLogs. The strangest thing, was that not even one log was purged.

Is not so strange, because before the purge the last hour logs are parsed to create the reports by time period. There are only the last hour logs but maybe it is the straw that broke the camel back...

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »
Is it possible to purge the logs manually?

Sure. You can enter the PostgreSQL shell with the following command:
su ebox -c 'psql eboxlogs' , executed as root.

Inside the shell you can use the command '\dt' to see the database's table. You can delete entries using standard SQL commands. For example if you want to delete all entries from the log of the  mail module, the command is: DELETE FROM message  Of course, you can use more surgical deletes using the features of the SQL language. (If you need help, ask here)

If you purge the logs manually, please let me know if you problem has gone away

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 04:54:46 pm »
One of the possible causes of this error is that we're having a race condition. To check this, I would be useful to check  if there are two or more instances of 90manageLogs running at the same time in any computer which shows this problem. You can use the command ps aux to see what are the active process in the computer.

FerminNS

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 01:54:15 am »
Same problem here, i have to move the 90manageEBoxLogs
(ps aux | grep perl)
Only one instance was running. (i kill -9 it)
Now the system is stable again.

I have a log error on the web interface some hours before.
It was something like "can't write /var/log/ebox/ebox.log"
so i change the permissions to the file to 777 (775 don't work)

Then i shutdown the server to insert an other ethernet card. (shutdown -h now) -> I have to do this because the web interface was not responding, but i don't know if was the 90manageEBoxLogs script or the Internet connection (there was an other person there to insert the card).

----

El mismo problema.
El script 90manageEBoxLogs se ha comido toda la ram, lo he tenido que matar (solo estaba ejecutando 1 vez) y moverlo a otro directorio.
Horas antes al intentar acceder vía web, me ha dado un mensaje de error de escritura en los logs, he tenido que dar permisos a ese fichero para poder acceder al interface web ya que solo aparecía el error en vez del login.

El acceso al equipo era para añadir una tarjeta de red, al apagar el servidor este no respondía vía web y lo he apagado vía ssh.

Al encenderlo de nuevo, al cabo de unas 4 horas el servidor ha dejado de responder.

xtrgeo

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 10:07:53 am »
Sorry for bringing this topic up, but it seems that i have the same problem on 2.0.21 core. 90ManageEboxLogs is going mad...

I tried to do whta javier says in post 25 but when i type /dt i just don't get anything else that the prompt of the shell, >.

Is there any solution for this problem?

Thnks