Author Topic: First Zentyal 2.3 packages for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise available!  (Read 11672 times)

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
Re: First Zentyal 2.3 packages for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise available!
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:41 pm »
@ rob,  i would love to try this asap...
and maybe even propose it as an option (or even default?) in zentyal,
if you use some kind of a menu.cfg file (witch isn't uncommon), 
you could probably  use a line  like   timeout=n seconds   and a  default=gui (or cli..).

in my case i would prefere it that if/when i log out of lxde (or type 'exit' in the cli)  ..
that i would return to this menu...  as it would be prety simular behavior as leaving your current server in the login-screen.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 07:53:20 pm by ichat »
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
Re: First Zentyal 2.3 packages for Ubuntu 12.04 Precise available!
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:16:11 pm »
Hello,

Thanks for the response.

None of the sugested solutions gives a result to preven to start the desktop at boot.

It is an problem in the new release 12.04, as installed ( LXDE or Gnome core or KDE base ) on a previous release 10.04 the desktop does not start at boot  only by the command startx and return to the command mode by logoff.

I have tried the suggestions but it does not work, since Grub2 there is a difference for the startup menu, remove GDM from /etc/init.d works in release 8.04 not in 12.04 also adapt the files grub çin etc/default and /ect/boot/grub.conf gives no results even the sugestion from DogManCat does not works.

I need the desktop only for mantenace on the server itself ( archive of data copy data from the server to external disk etc. it goos faster than copy over the network.

In operational moede there is no need for the desktop, there is no screen keyboard or mouse connected toe the server in operational mode so no desktop started means less resources needed the resources could than be used for other applications on the server.

Thanks and best regards,
Ian