Author Topic: New offering packages - Small Business and Enterprise Editions  (Read 12085 times)

DogManCat

Re: New offering packages - Small Business and Enterprise Editions
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 06:15:38 pm »
In fact whilst I have been musing over subscriptions I have been thinking that the "get out of the shit" subscription doesn't roll well off the tongue.

Why not provide a "Engage" subscription which is basically a one-off incident subscription which requires ten annual karma points as-well as a nominal amount?

Sam Graf

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 06:45:39 pm »
If you are stuck with M$ Sam then that is your problem and not mine.
I am trying to stress the point from my perspective the current subscriptions will gain them zero revenue and I actually want to Zentyal to be a success.
And all other comments are either off-topic, other people's problems, not interested in Zentyal success (from our point of view), etc. Sigh ...

DogManCat

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »
If you are stuck with M$ Sam then that is your problem and not mine.
I am trying to stress the point from my perspective the current subscriptions will gain them zero revenue and I actually want to Zentyal to be a success.
And all other comments are either off-topic, other people's problems, not interested in Zentyal success (from our point of view), etc. Sigh ...

Thanks for the smite Sam :)

I don't believe in cul de sac's and there should be no reason to be stuck with a platform. That's just my opinion. I am not saying I am not prepared to talk about the M$ trap and those who fall foul.
When the subject is "New offering packages - Small Business and Enterprise Editions" I was trying to keep it in that arena.
If you want to create a thread "Stuck with M$" I will gladly contribute.

Sam Graf

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 07:27:46 pm »
I didn't smite you. As a moderator, I can make the point by locking the topic. ;)

As for the "stuck with Microsoft" topic suggestion, that's just silly. My point was this only: Not everybody interested in Zentyal success cares about an alternative on the desktop. I am one of those people. I understand that there are others who are hell-bent on sweeping Microsoft out of their offices. Fine. If this is a discussion about Zentyal costs and pricing, then the dynamics surrounding Zentyal's present and future direction on the desktop are part of the conversation. It's that simple.

DogManCat

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 07:42:26 pm »
In fact whilst I have been musing over subscriptions I have been thinking that the "get out of the shit" subscription doesn't roll well off the tongue.

Why not provide a "Engage" subscription which is basically a one-off incident subscription which requires ten annual karma points as-well as a nominal amount?

Sam whats your opinion on the cost and rigidity of current subscription?

Sam Graf

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 08:25:47 pm »
My opinion is that a granular approach to either product (an add-on approach) or pricing (a vertical stack of subscription options) is going to be counterproductive more often than not at this point in time.

DogManCat

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 08:45:48 pm »
Can I ask and would you answer with all honesty. Are you going to pay the enterprise subscription?

Sam Graf

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 09:01:48 pm »
My situation is complex. I can say that I am actively keeping the option of SBE and DR subscriptions open. As a business decision, the cost, in my case, is less important than our system architecture.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 09:20:14 pm »
first of all let me say that i may have been one of the few to actually complain about the rediculous low pricing on the support side, - from the first day on i could never figure out how zentyal was planning to make profit...   that said, i  previously supported about a dozen clients in the range where MS sbs is mostly used,  all but one had  next bussiness day sla's and most (if not all) where quite a lot more expencive. 

in my view the best way to find out if these prices are good,  the best way is to charge them and see.. if its to high less people will buy the package  if not.. than its a reasonable price.

All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

DogManCat

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 10:00:11 am »
Reading between the lines its pretty obvious its to high, well from those ambiguous comments I am going to take it as a no from you two.

I thought as much.

DogManCat

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 12:27:40 pm »
The pricing is fine if Zentyal are going to provide 100% support. As a total remote package where the support staff just want a buy and forget appliance. Maybe a tad high as my feeling is that lower prices would gain more bulk.

The problem is that many scenario's will have a techie like myself who's bread and butter is the support contract. The current pricing takes a huge portion of my revenue and I have the ability to support the server myself.
Having a self help community also aids self sufficiency and I am thinking that many of the community who are posting questions here are not going to buy a subscription. If they did they wouldn't be posting questions on the site as they would have support that is paid for.

I am looking at the current support options and thinking that the only way I can get revenue to Zentyal is via a support option that in essence negates my own support role. At least I have the honesty that this worries me and I am bold enough to suggest that this will decrease possible revenue.

My argument from the start is the current offerings are rigid and closed and way to high. I also have the honesty to say that because of this and ever decreasing IT budgets I am being forced into a self support role.
Rather than just another niche product Zentyal has the possibility to become a staple diet of the SMB IT infrastructure with a huge amount of possible revenue.

I doubt its going to do it in the current form as the self help community actually detracts from total support options. If Zentyal are going to operate in this manner its slightly bizarre they actually answer questions in the forum as every time they do they are reducing revenue.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:32:47 pm by DogManCat »

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:57 pm »
once again you seam to be talking from a perspective from where you have absolutely no knowledge in or understanding of.

if this i your way of trying for revange of somekind than please dont bother, as people should never take into consideration this kind of obvious trolls.

but since we are talking about paying for software, did you ever buy a vallid licence for windows server, or any paid version of linux (like that of clearos,  redhad enterprice linux, ubuntu advanced,  the paid version or zarafa, or anything simular)..
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,

DogManCat

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:52 pm »
No I never buy software my clients do that and I thinks thats pretty common.

The idea of revenge is just pathetic generally. I am trying to make a point that coupling standard commercial offerings to an open source community project isn't going to work.

Square pegs and round holes and all that.

Commercially my clients bought SBS and I provided the support and thats how I created revenue.

Zentyal is free but its subscriptions impinge on my revenue. There must be a better way, that is all I am saying.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:20 pm »
if you think that zentyal is a squar pig on your round hole than by all means  hire a programmer and have him/her  make it round,  but trolling about it itsn't going to make your point nore does it help anyone but perhaps your ego..

Sam Graf

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »
Reading between the lines its pretty obvious its to high, well from those ambiguous comments I am going to take it as a no from you two.

I thought as much.
Are you replying to me? If so, no, you've taken it wrong. The first question, in my case, and quite naturally, is Zentyal's place, not Zentyal's cost. You asked me if I was going to pay, and you asked me to answer honestly. I can't say I'll pay until prior, more important questions are settled, but I can say (and did say) cost wasn't the deciding factor.