Author Topic: Ubuntu 8.10: Home gateway router, file server, firefly  (Read 2628 times)

quietas

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ubuntu 8.10: Home gateway router, file server, firefly
« on: February 06, 2009, 09:54:14 pm »
Hi folks. I'm new to Ebox and it seems to do what I want it to do, please correct me if I am wrong.

Here's the skinny. I want to replace my aging router appliance at home with a more configurable Ubuntu box, but I need a user friendly quick and easy web GUI which my computer savvy, but command line refusing, wife can manage. I have a few needs with Ebox seems to to fill. Gateway, DNS, DHCP, web proxy, content filter, print sharing, and file sharing. Ebox seems to fill those needs. SSH and LAMP of course are easy.

I assume those will all work since it's essentially a copy of the features page. Will I do the package installs from Ubuntu (apt-get) or will Ebox take care of that? If Ebox would that be using the Ubuntu or Ebox repos?

Also, does anyone know if Firefly Media Server would play nice with Ebox? I would assume so, but I will need to try that one out after I get Ebox running and I would like to plan ahead of there are any changes to be made.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: Ubuntu 8.10: Home gateway router, file server, firefly
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:41:49 pm »
Hi quietas,

Check installation details in this page [1]. eBox is separated in modules depending on the functionality to offer. eBox packages will take into account all dependencies they have but you may install them manually. The packages you need to fill your needs are:
  • ebox-network: Gateway
  • ebox-dns
  • ebox-dhcp
  • ebox-squid: Web proxy and content filtering
  • ebox-samba: File sharing
  • ebox-printers: Print sharing

Regarding to the Firefly Media Server, if you don't enable firewall. No interferences will exist with eBox software.

Best regards,

[1]http://ebox-platform.com/community/installation-guide/
My secret is my silence...

quietas

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:07:16 pm »
I've got everything up and running now for Ebox. Took a bit, but it functions well eough.

Firefly is being a bugger though. I opened tcp port 3689 for the web interface and udp port 5353 for the network portion. Anyone tried using the two together, because I can't get Itunes to see it.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:21:04 pm »
The rules must be set in "Filtering rules from internal networks to eBox" since the service is serviced by eBox to your internal networks, isn't it?.

I think you must open up avahi related ports as well.

quietas

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:00:22 pm »
Easy fix as it turns out. I needed to open ports form the Ebox out. All works now.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 11:46:00 am »
How could I forget it? My mistake... sorry for that fault!