Author Topic: Ubuntu Ebox and DansGuardian issue  (Read 5265 times)

DanRF

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Ubuntu Ebox and DansGuardian issue
« on: January 21, 2008, 12:25:02 am »
I'm not sure if this bug originates in something i've configured wrong or if it's from the recently released ubuntu repositorys.

I've got ubuntu gutsy server installed (updated to latest updates and installed ssh so i don't have to be sat at the computer). Added the repositorys in the announcements forum. Installed ebox-all (didn't pay as much attention to the questions that popped up about configuring as i should which might be where my problems could have come from).

Anyway, got the proxy to work ok, couldn't get the filtering to work though (until i discovered i had to use port 3129 to get the filtered proxy and the port setup on the HTTP proxy page was without dansguardian)

The filtering seemed to work after a few restarts but didn't seem quite right. I ssh'ed in the computer and did:
"sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian stop"
Which (though reporting it had stopped) hadn't stopped and the processes were still visable (ps -A | grep dans).
and "sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian start"(and restart) reported that a process was already using port 3129.

So after a while tried "sudo killall dansguardian" and then "sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian start" which worked fine and dansguardian came back up with the correct settings as entered into ebox.

So as i've got it setup now the only way that seems to work is:
On reboot do "sudo killall dansguardian" "sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian start"
Then every time a website is added/removed from the domain filtering run:
"sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian restart"

Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this and if the problems with my setup or with the recent port of ebox to ubuntu.

Thanks

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Ubuntu Ebox and DansGuardian issue
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 09:07:59 am »
Hello,
  after doing any changes in the domains list the 'save changes' control (top right of the page) should turn red. When it is red you can click on it to 'save changes' and it internally restarts dansguardian and all the needed stuff.

In your case the control doesn't turn red after any changes in the configuration?

DanRF

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:34 am »
That icon does change red. Both the change button is pressed after changing the filtering rules and the (then red) save button in the top right is clicked. (Hitting the save button a second time tells you that there are no remaining changes so it recognises that it's applyed the modifications)

The details on the domain list look correct and the changes stick between logon's to the web interface but don't apply to dansguardian itself. (without a manual restart of the dansguardian service)

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:12:41 pm »
Seems that you had found a bug.
I just reviewed  the code and I have found some configurations where dansguardian is not correctly managed.
I need some details about your configuration to see if this was your problem or if there is another one.
I need to know what configuration you have under 'HTTP Proxy->General' and what options and policies you have set for the domains list. (i don't need the names just the policies and the options)

Thanks,
  Javier

« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 01:10:02 pm by sixstone »

DanRF

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 03:31:20 pm »
I've not got the best memory and I'm currently out the house. But from memory, I tried multiple configurations to try and get it to work the one I was using towards the end was:

Proxy on, not transparent, Port 8080, Default policy set to filter (though I got the same problems with always deny as well I think).
The domain filtering was setup as:
Both check boxes unticked (but i did experiment trying the block all but domains listed below option)
Then added to the domains list a couple of sites with always deny, a couple with always allow and a couple with filter.
Which content filter set to strict.
I haven't used the objects settings to define a group a machines (I did play with it breifly to see if that would make a difference though, but in the end deleted the objects and stuck with the default policy)

This is from memory but i think its about right. I'm more than happy to try some other configurations if you have some you want me to try out.

Thanks

DanRF

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 10:14:56 am »
If you could point me to the bug report for the dansguardian config issues you mentioned and/or the part of the code with the problem it would be easier to keep track of progress with it and (out of curiosity more than anything) the part of the code in question (not quite sure where in svn to look).

Thanks,
Daniel

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 04:59:09 pm »
Hi,
  if you are sure about your last configuration then I fear you have hit another different bug.
 The know bug will be fixed with this: https://trac.ebox-platform.com/changeset/9313

Anyway, if you ccame bak at the house and saw a different configuration than the one you posted, please report it.

Cheers,
  Javier

DanRF

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 06:13:27 pm »
I have tried reinstalling the system now with the same results. What i did was:
Install Gutsy Server Edition 32bit (nothing unusual in the settings)
Added the ebox repositories
apt-get updated/upgraded the system and installed ssh (so i can get a terminal without being at the computer)
Restarted (as updated kernel) then did:
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
sudo apt-get install ebox-all

The computer has 2 network cards tho only 1 is plugged in.
On the install the IP was set by DHCP so I changed the IP from the network module (static entered the IP nothing else)
Then changed the gateway as the above change seemed to mess that up so on gateway page put in the gateway ip, set upload/download speed's to 0 (wouldn't let me leave them blank) ticked the default box and gave it a name.
Then on http proxy page i turned the proxy on, default policy as filter. Turned strict filter on and added a few domains to filter out as allways deny (and vice versa to test unblocking).
The problems still remained (still using port 3129 as is defined in the dansguardian config file).
Restarted the computer to see if that would help but problem still remained. (I hit the red save button after making each change).

Is there a log file somewhere that records any feed backs or errors ebox gets when trying to restart services?

Daniel