Author Topic: HOWTO: Zentyal+Zarafa+Setup+Outlook+Thunderbird+mobilephone sync  (Read 15149 times)

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
HOWTO: Zentyal+Zarafa+Setup+Outlook+Thunderbird+mobilephone sync
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:04:22 pm »
Hi all,

some might not know my tutorial on the above mentioned topic:
http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/HowTo/ZarafaSetupWithOutlookThunderbirdSync

I just added a part about installing official certificates for apache, admin-interface and imap. Now Thunderbird doesn't complain any more... :P

Any hints and reviews are welcome.

Cheers
BBKing

robb

Re: HOWTO: Zentyal+Zarafa+Setup+Outlook+Thunderbird+mobilephone sync
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:21:35 am »
Thanks a lot BBKing!
I will have it a go since I am still struggling with using Tbird and sending mail....

Mittelerde

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:27:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing this Howto

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:54:53 pm by Mittelerde »

chymian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:41:35 pm »
hi bbking,
thx for the howto.

how have you gone around the missing carddav? since there is NO way  - that I'm aware of -  to share & sync an addr. book back to your desktop-pim, except for outlook, zarafa is for M$-user only.

I'm about to remove zarafa, because of this restriction, as I'm a linux-user!
and go back to SOGO http://sogo.nu, which does support card- & caldav, MAPI, syncML, even LDAP...

it's somehow sad, that the beloved zentyal is sooo strict M$ minded.

cheers
chymian

kg66

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 08:26:42 pm »
Hello chymian,

There is a carddav Interface for zarafa on the way, just have a look for sabre-zarafa in the zarafa community

chymian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 11:25:43 pm »
hi kg66,
I had a look at sabre-zarafa (0.14):
I used the sogo carddav/caldav connector within TB/Lightning.
did create a contact via the zarafa-web interface which showed up with the wrong charset in TB & vice versa. I changed the contact in TB & it didn't got synced back. so, no luck here.
maybe, when sabre-zarafa gets updated to sabredav 1.6.1...

running on zentyal 2.2, zarafa 6.40

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:37:49 am »
guys, I succeded to make carddav work with Thunderbird (read-only), last weekend, give me some time to add it to the howto.
I had to hack the php file to get the right charset. I'll post it tomorrow hopefully.

Cheers
BBKing

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 12:39:57 pm »
Okay guys, the howto is updated. Don't expect too much as it is read-only and limited to the personal addresses, but maybe still useful for someone.
I might investigate Z-Sync further but I had no luck with it in the past (although I paid for that plugin....  :'( )

chymian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 02:51:13 pm »
hi bbking,
so, you moved away from sabre-zarafa, to the Levelbossmike code? reason?
would it be to much work, to write down your decision/function-matrix for the div. xxx-dav-codes as well as what z-sync is supposed to do and not doing?

and I directed the owner of sabre-zarafa towards you and your HOWTO. maybe you two can iron out the charset & read-only bugs. I can help with testing, if needed.
see: http://code.google.com/p/sabre-zarafa/issues/detail?can=2&start=0&num=100&q=&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary&groupby=&sort=&id=20

thx & good luck
chymian

bbking

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 06:54:43 pm »
Hi chymian,

I wasn't aware of the existence of sabre-zarafa until now! I wasn't able to get z-sync to work until yesterday (it deleted my whole addressbook on start, tough!!! good to have backups....) but now it works.

I was browsing the zarafa plugin page where I've found Levelbossmike and it worked nearly out-of-the box, except for the character-coding problem. It could be related to Thunderbird/SoGo as well, because my patch doesn't work with Thunderbird 10.1.

I'm going to investigate this, on the top of the howto I've already added a compatibility matrix.
I also mailed the Levelbossmike developers, their solution seems to be better to me at the moment (open source and free of charge, relies on the SoGo connector = more developers) than z-sync.

It would be interesiting to see, how many Zentyal/Zarafa users need a native Linux client? Responses are welcome!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:56:43 pm by bbking »

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 08:30:30 am »
Hi bbking,

I didn't test you howto but looks über cool, thanks! I would like to make you a couple of suggestions:

1.- when editing configuration stubs, do not do it directly on /usr/share/zentyal/stubs but use /etc/zentyal/stubs. This is better because they are not overwritten on a upgrade, and you always can see the differences between your file and the one we ship, specially after a upgrade with: diff /etc/zentyal/stubs/module/stub.conf.mas /usr/share/zentyal/stubs/module/stub.conf.mas

2.- /etc/zentyal/zarafa.conf contains confkeys for listening on 0.0.0.0, run the zarafa-licensed daemon and a couple more of options, have a look at them :)

Again, nice contribution!!