Author Topic: Complete Noob Questions  (Read 1906 times)

Divergex

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Complete Noob Questions
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:09:28 am »
Hi everyone. I have set up Zentyal 3 on an old Core2 Duo PC, and it is generally running well. I have a few questions and hopefully will find some help here.

The server is for my home, with four Windows clients and a single Ubuntu 13.04 client. I have a single shared printer, a Canon MP280 connected to the server via USB. Because Ubuntu 12.04 does not have a built-in driver for the MP280, I installed a driver from Canon Europe through the command line. CUPS configured it just fine and my Windows clients can see the printer and print to it.

Now for the questions:

- I can't print from Ubuntu. I can see the printer, but every job goes from "Processing" to "Held for authentication" and never prints. The printer is set to allow guest users, and as stated Windows clients can print just fine with no password needed. Should I use IPP or another way to connect my Linux PC instead of SMB?

- Can I set up NFS shares that can't be seen by the Windows clients or do I need to stick to Samba? The shared files will be accessed only by my Ubuntu PC. The only resource I need available to the Windows clients is the printer.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

christian

Re: Complete Noob Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 05:31:31 am »
To me, while using CUPS, you should rather use IPP from Linux clients.
SMB is relayed via Samba isn't it ?

Regarding NFS, you can do it assuming you do it by yourself, aside Zentyal (meaning there is no GUI in Zentyal to handle NFS).
Well, I've been told some guys have develop add-on to Zentyal aiming to support NFS but I never saw it thus can't tell you more. NFS related topic has been discussed few days ago. Searching this forum may help.

Divergex

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Noob Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:53:19 am »
Thanks christian. I've tried IPP but I can't seem to get it right. Either I'm not getting the URI correct or there is something else going on. I will keep trying though.