Author Topic: Backup/restore  (Read 8329 times)

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Backup/restore
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2009, 10:46:33 pm »
Hi Ian

well i think backuppc can make a full backup but as i say personally I use it just to backup the shared folders (actually /home/samba/shares because i only use those shares created via file sharing - shares and keep them all in there..). I run backuppc on another server, following it's documentation, it was surprisingly easy to set up.

I use the ebox backup facility to backup the whole system state including computer accounts.

In order to get the computer accounts bit to work you need to replace

/usr/share/perl5/EBox/Samba/ImportFromLdif.pm

with this file

http://trac.ebox-platform.com/export/12748/trunk/client/samba/src/EBox/Samba/ImportFromLdif.pm

once you've replaced that file, then run your restore, it should work fine- although i can't guarantee that the shares will be restored if you backed those up because i haven't tested that part...

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2009, 10:58:46 pm »
Hi guys,

I wouldn't recommend the use of the "Full backup" feature of eBox on production if you are using Samba. Instead of that, use eBox to backup the configuration, and use another method to backup your data.

Ian, I'll try to reproduce your issue tomorrow.

I'll get back to you soon :)

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 04:46:42 pm »
Hello,

I have done some tests with the latest eBox version 1.0,

The backup of the configuration is now ok, all the settings, accounts, acl's , refences of the server, and the computer accounts aswell are backupped, and afther a reinstallation of a brand new system the restore works correct now all the settings accounts etc. are restored.

I have used only the configuration backup of eBox, for the backup of the data Webmin was installed, and works correctly for backup and restore of the data ( inclusif the shares and there content and the user file rights ). In Webmin the data backup could be automated.

Installing extra software on an eBox server could be handy:
Install Webmin ( extra tool, and backup/restore utility, not for eBox configuration information use only).
Install gparted ( to handle extra harddrive's ).
Install phpmyadmin  ( Mysql database tool )
Install xorg , lxde , gnome terminal, firefox , smb4k ( usefull verry small desktop with webbrowser, terminal windows etc ), anly active by manualy intervenstion on the server ( startx, command ) .

[bSome questions:][/b]
On an eBox version 0.12, is the file " ImportFromLdif.pm " automaticaly replaced with the corected file by the execute of the eBox " Software management " utility system update, or is it always needed to download and replace the file manualy ?

Suggestion,

By eBox install, implement the option to make a choise of the modukes you wich to install, depending on the type of eBox server installation you prefered ( only file and print server, DHCP or withouth DHCP etc . ).

I think that the server is ready for practical use now.

Thanks for the help, for me the backup/restore post could be closed as solved.

Best regards,
Ian

steph

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 06:41:33 pm »
I have done some tests with the latest eBox version 1.0.

Thanks for your report. I'm wondering, is it possible to backup using v0.12 and restore to a newly installed v1.0?

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 10:01:42 am »
Steph,

I have tried out, upgrade from v0.12 to v1.0.
It works fine whithout any problems, all the settings ( configuration, users passwords shares etc. )are still ok afther the upgrade.

Finaly your system hase all the new features of v 1.0.

Best regards,

Ian