Author Topic: Backup/restore  (Read 8331 times)

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: Backup/restore
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 10:45:45 am »
Well i like the fact that profiles are backed up with a configuration backup, but not all the shares, I found it very convenient and i just rsync'ed the shares seperately. Perhaps the updated script could let you tick off whatever you wanted to backup/restore from a list?

The backup i made worked between versions, but only using the "Restore backup from file" option, and uploading, rather than by scp'ing the backup file into /var/lib/ebox/conf/backups, refreshing the page and restoring that backup which appeared there. I couldn't clearly identify the log entry but i attach both logs.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 12:00:56 pm »

Thank a lot for post your logs. In your ebox.log I saw only one restore process so I think I misunderstood you and maybe your problem were that the backup weren't listed after reloading the page?.
In that case maybe it hadn't the right permissions, the backups should be readeable by the 'ebox' user, otherwise they aren't  listed and couldn't be restored.
This were the problem or I am missing something?

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 12:17:19 pm »
Hi-

I did change the ownership to match, but not permissions (ie still readonly group and other) and try again, to be the same as the other. I got a red error come up:-

"Your request could not be processed because it lacked some required parameters"

yet with the same backup file uploaded through web interface, i didn't get that error.

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2009, 06:19:44 pm »
can i confirm that this is still true, you can't scp the backup file and then change permissions and restore it, you have to do it via web interface.

also, the netlogon share isn't backed up- this would be handy as login scripts and default profile can go here for a domain setup...

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2009, 09:03:24 am »
Thanks again for your report, kerridge. I think I have found where is the error and I am working to fix it.

In the meantime yo ucan try this to restore your backup:
 - put in the backup directory
  - make sure is readeable by user 'ebox'
  - change its name to 1111.tar  (or another number)
  - reload the page

I think that with this recipe the backup should appear on the list

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2009, 11:47:28 am »
well the backup always does appear on the list - I will try this when i migrate the second server - but is there a way for me to look in to where the logic is failing? nothing appears in the logs with that "request cannot be processed" message it seems...

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2009, 12:15:08 pm »
Well, the error is that the inernal code does not manage well filenames, instead of trying to quote them, it raises error if some characters are present in the filename...
Until it is fixed, simpel filenames like the one I suggested should do the trick

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:49 pm »
maybe it's if there is already a backup there with a description that isn't just numbers? because before i restore, i create a backup first. i'll try creating a backup that consists of numbers in it's description first...

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2009, 07:50:47 pm »
it didn't work, but when i created tha backup i gave it the description "movetoday" i'm going to try it again with the description "11111"

filename always comes out as numbers.tar

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2009, 08:19:39 pm »
ok tried again, still no go, here are my supporting screenshots in case you think i'm insane.

Javier Amor Garcia

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 05:03:04 pm »
You're right the names are correct so it must be another thing. If there is not sensible data in your backup you could mail it to me so I can look at it.

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 05:17:40 pm »
before i try and set this up, I should say that i'm personally very happy about this backup/restore because i've been able to restore using the web interface upload feature.

Have you tried to do this on the latest version? scp backup from from another ebox and then restore from list using ui. If it works then maybe it's just a quirk of the old -> new version that we don't need to worry about.

(otherwise i don't really fancy sending you a 223 Meg file which is the smallest old backup i have, would have to set up another example  :) )

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2009, 10:36:48 am »
Hi,

Is there already a good solution for the backup problem ?

As a work around i have made a backup of the map /etc with the utility " mondoarchive " and restored this map with the sam utility " mondorstore" , then the computer accounts of the windows Xp workstations are working again.

Still the backup utility of eBox is not working corectly, somtimes not all the shares and there content are bakupped, and thus also not restored.

Is this an option ?:

Install webmin on the eBox file and print server, then make a backup of the configuration ( users accounts groups share definitions etc. ) with the backup tool of eBox and all the data and shares backupped by webmin.

Is a nested share also be backupped ?

Share : rapporten with sub maps rapporten1LA, rapporten1LB etc, where rapporten is ahared and the sub maps are also individual shared. The goal is to give a user access to rapporten with the two submaps, an a user giev acces only to the submap rapporten1LA. ?

I am trying to setup an operational server for our elemantery school , but solong the backup system is not relyable, it is a risc so i hope to have a good backup solution asap.

Thans

kerridge0

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
I don't think anyone here is having any problems with the backups like you describe?

The only problems I have had are:

* restoring onto a new server which had a different version of ebox meant that (windows domain) machine accounts weren't retored - this was resolved by the methods described above
* you have to use the web interface to upload the restore file which can take a while if there are lots of files to restore.

Regarding your problem with the file shares and nested file shares not being backed up/restored, I personally would use another method to back these up, perhaps backuppc? because you also probably want historical backups of this data (grandfather/father/son?) and this can't be provided by ebox backup.

Kerry

<edited because i said something inappropriate because it was Ian's thread in the first place  :-[>
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:12:35 pm by kerridge0 »

ian

• Community Council Member
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Familie site
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 10:31:56 pm »
Hello kerridgeo,

There is still  aproblem with the backup of eBox, like i first posted end of januari.

I have done the following tests:

Installed eBox on Ubuntu server 8.04, on a intel P4 platform.

Configured several users, groups and shares ( also nested shares ), the server is configured as a primary domain controller and there are several windows Xp computers added to the domain.

Then i made a full backup, using the backup utility of eBox. saved the backup file on a external hard disk.

Next i installed a new server from scratch, on the same hardware platform as above. Same ubuntu server version 8.04 and same eBox version. So the second server was indentical to the first server.

I restored the backup file to the new server, at that monent the users groups and shares where restored but the windows computer accounts are not restored. So here is a problem.

Running the same test severeal times, results some times with not correct restored shares.

Then i installed " mondo " open source on the server ( this application make a archive and restore of files on bit level possible ).
When i make a mondoarchive of the map /etc from the server ( as you now all the configuration files are in that map ), en on the second server i did a mondorestore of the /etc map ( afther the configuration of the new eBox server and restore of the ebox backup file on the second server ) then the computer accounts of the domain are restored on the second server and all functions work correct now.The windows xp computers can connect to the domain again on the new server.

So far the only possibility to backup and restore of computer accounts was with the " Mondo " software.

It happends several time that the eBox backup restore give some errors while every think has no problems and the the restore was correct done, some times the shares are not backupped correctly with eBox several shares are not in the backup file.

Is there sinds end of januari a correction for this problem and where can i find the approved file ?
As long that the backup/restore utility is not relliable, there is a risc to use the server in an operational environment.

I hope soon to have a good solution, because eBox is a verry good system for use as a schoolserver, and it has a user friendly administrator interface.

Hav you some experience with " backuppc " ? can it be used for a complte backup of the eBox server ( data and configurartion ) ?

Thanks,
Ian