Author Topic: Mail Relay Access  (Read 3154 times)

Fiddlestix

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Mail Relay Access
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:13:39 pm »
Hi all,

First of all I would like to say that by using Zentyal has made life really easy for me testing environments using a free and opensource linux distro that does what I want :). Its good!

I've got a small query/question regarding the subject. I've setup mail and got it working properly over webmail. It can send and receive emails directly without using a SMTP relay host; which means that I can send/receive directly.

My problem comes when I am trying to access my emails from an external IP address, such that when using an iPhone to connect to email. Obviously, the request is coming from an IP address not allowed to have mail relay access. Going through every single NZ-based IP address range and adding them in into the objects would be such a cumbersome process.

Is there a way I can disable this security feature (IP based access) and enable user/pass security? So to send emails, I would need to authenticate with the SMTP application [Postfix I am guessing?] and then sending the email?

IF this message is quite confusing, let me know and I'll try to explain.

Just a recap of the events:
1) Installed Zentyal
2) Configured virtualdomain
3) Added mail account/user
4) Webmail works sending/receiving email
5) Tried to access email on iphone as POP3 - can receive email but can't send emails[using zentyal installation to send email]. Get error message on iphone that says: "user@domain.co.nz was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying"
6) Want to allow relaying, but do not want to add a whole bunch of ip's as objects that are allowed to.

Cheers,
Fiddlestix.

christian

Re: Mail Relay Access
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 11:04:34 pm »
I need to read again your post to be sure I understand the very detail but as a first answer: using webmail only, if you don't have mail relay issue whiel using webmail from your LAN, you will not have any mail relay issue while accessing from internet. Reason is that mail client is, in both case, webmail client running from Zentyal box itself. You are not using "end client IP address", i.e. your browser's IP.

Fiddlestix

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:11:42 pm »
Hi there,

I understand that. But what I am asking is that I want to access emails stored on my Zentyal box from an external IP address completely, through my iPhones mail application. I think using the webmail interface on the iPhone is quite clunky/cluttered.

So my question is, how can I turn off the mail relay access from IP based authentication/allow list to username/password based authentication?

Cheers,
Fids.

kral

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:24:21 am »
Hi there,

I understand that. But what I am asking is that I want to access emails stored on my Zentyal box from an external IP address completely, through my iPhones mail application. I think using the webmail interface on the iPhone is quite clunky/cluttered.

So my question is, how can I turn off the mail relay access from IP based authentication/allow list to username/password based authentication?

Cheers,
Fids.

Hello,

In Iphone how do you connect to your server? POP, IMAP? how do you reach your server, by server.zentyal.me?

Cumps