Author Topic: Traffic Shaping vs Throttling Bandwidth  (Read 3502 times)

xtrgeo

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Traffic Shaping vs Throttling Bandwidth
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:31 pm »
Ok, i am i little bit confused after reading all the documentation.

My configuration is that i have 2 external interfaces(2 gateways) and one internal interface.
Every user on my lan, has as a gateway the internal interface of my server. I use transparent proxy.

1. How can I limit the download RATE of every user on my lan? I do not want to give him a specific amount of total bandwidth that he can use, but i want to limit the rate that he will be able to use in real time. I do not care if will download 3 Terrabytes as long as he is downloading it with the rate i will allow him to. Do i have to use rules in traffic shaping or bandwidth throttling in Http proxy module? And if the second, which rule should i use?network or client based?

2. My two gateways gives a total bandwidth of 6Mbps(the first 4Mbps and the second 2Mbps).These are traffic balanced. Is there a way that if ONLY one user is connected to achieve MAXIMUM download rate of 6 Mbps???Something like adsl Bonding??Can zentyal do this?

Thnks!

Remon

• Zen Monk
  • Luctor et emergo
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic Shaping vs Throttling Bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 11:34:53 pm »
I would think that 2 is the default behavior of the system if you did not implement item-1 and there was no other traffic that has higher priority at that moment...

To my understanding of the matter the RATE == bandwidth effectively, although bandwidth mostly is relative to the total, and Rate would be a max kbps

xtrgeo

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:05:50 am »
I would think that 2 is the default behavior of the system if you did not implement item-1 and there was no other traffic that has higher priority at that moment...

To my understanding of the matter the RATE == bandwidth effectively, although bandwidth mostly is relative to the total, and Rate would be a max kbps

Hi and thnks for the answer.

implement item-1 where? What do u mean?

Yes, rate is the max speed a user can reach. How to I limit it for every user?

Thnks

Remon

• Zen Monk
  • Luctor et emergo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:50:25 pm »
n.p.

The only way I know inside the zentyal scope to get your item 1, or near to it, is to create network objects and then create traffic shaping rules. There you can actually limit the max rate for the source network object.
But these are not user bound then, more PC bound.