Author Topic: Need help with mail, any suggestion  (Read 2220 times)

jraduga

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Need help with mail, any suggestion
« on: April 04, 2013, 09:13:10 am »
so firstly I will say, i'm a newby at Linux stuff, but am fumbling my way thru it. Trying to replace a MS server that ran everything and sync'd to everything (small business server 2011), as the existing server is way to resource hungry for my equipment.
I have installed Zentyal 3 and all the updates.
have got Samba 4 to work(mostly I think), with my windows pc (all win7 pro's and ultimates)
have even managed to get outlook 2010 to read the mail, without using zarafa
However, and this is the bit I need to get some advice on, I obviously cannot update calenders and shared them or contacts and definitely cannot sync any of this with the windows 8 nokia mobiles.
I can obviously add zarafa, however as outlook is running on 64bit machines, zarafa doesn't have their outlook add-on for 64 bit machines, and the mobiles cannot share any of their details either. all of which is currently done by the win server. I would like to be able to do all of this if possible, if not i'm afraid that zentyal will not be suitable for our situation.

Can anyone suggest anything that I can add or change etc to give me the fully sync'd services that we need, perhaps a different mail service.

christian

Re: Need help with mail, any suggestion
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 09:26:05 am »
as the existing server is way to resource hungry for my equipment.

or you wallet  ;D

Do you mean that Zarafa 32 bit plug-in will not run on your 64 bit OS ? Perhaps but I would be surprised.
This said, there is, as of today and as far as I know, no "apple-to-apple" free Windows landscape replacement.
Even Samba 4 emulating Windows domain doesn't cover 100%. I don't know where Zarafa stands but I would also be surprised if coverage & replacement is 100% of existing features.
Thus if everything is mandatory, you should better stay on the Microsoft Windows side, otherwise, you have to determine what does matter and what can be dropped and look at replacement solution at the light of this list.

Last but not least, you should better change thread title  ;)  for what I understand, you do not face problem with mail but additional (not mail related) features like calendar. I know this is often mixed because Microsoft likes to merge and aggregate everything (is it on purpose to make is fuzzy in customers mind and sell more  ???  ;D) but from protocol standpoint, these are very different.
So let say this is kind of, mail from client standpoint but not from server side  :)

jraduga

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with mail, any suggestion
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:26:39 pm »
Thank you for your reply, Yes am finding its not going to be "apple-to-apple" type migration. Microsoft seem to have done a good job of creating, what I will call "unique" software, emulating is more often than not a "what I can do without" situation.

I have been all over the zarafa site checking for 64 bit compatibility, as I know enough of Linux to say that 64 bit has been around much longer time when compared to windows, where their first was win xp x64. I was totally amazed when I found on their site that 64bit is not currently supported and will be looked at later. I even tried the most recent release of there plug-in, only to be greeted with I'm sorry but we do not support 64bit... Other than that zarafa + Zentyal would seem to be as close as I could come. Certainly zarafa does have limitation in what they support but based on their info on their site, what they do offer would be fine.

My list of things that I actual require is longer, but after doing a bit of cost to benefit calculation, have cut it down to those few things, being able to sync to a mobile the, calendar, emails, contacts. Some of the things that I really needed for my own sanity was things like  remote desktop handling, eg log on to the server and then remotely connect to any workstation, which is another function of the current server. But I will work out other arrangements for that one.