Author Topic: Counterproductive password length and group mask limitations  (Read 1334 times)

MKunert

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Counterproductive password length and group mask limitations
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:39:48 am »
Dear ebox-Team,

I am a proud new user of your "distro" for about a week now. I "administer" a small private network of about 12 machines (5 clients, 7 servers). So far I mainly used debian as my server distro and ubuntu for the clients (and *gnarl* Windows), so I am quite happy with your offering. Even though it seems relatively early, I like to give it a try and see what I can accomplish with ebox in terms of user management consolidation and *gasp* single-sing-on.

During my first steps with your web interface, I tried to add new user groups and new users. I surely want to keep the amount of change for my users as little as possible, so I started with the groups, user names and passwords everyone is acustomed to.

To my suprise, ebox did not accept a group name of the shape "x-gamers", without any hint on what might cause the offence (is it the hyphen? Why?). When I started adding users, ebox tells me that passwords longer than 15 characters are unacceptable.

Now this is a backlash. While I am totally puzzled about the group name rejection -this is annoying and breaks my naming convention- I could work around it. But the password length restriction has a different severity. I am very glad to have my users "educated" into using passphrases exceeding 15 characters as a rule (using the fitting PAM module to enforce this). Where is the point in hardcoding such a deliberate, mind-numbingly low number into your system? Why not just delimit this to .. 80 characters? No one will flood your system with data by means of this field.

Anyway - I will stay with you, because I believe that you are working on one of the most important "borders" of the ubuntu/debian/foss universe!

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Counterproductive password length and group mask limitations
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:05:09 pm »
Hi,

To my suprise, ebox did not accept a group name of the shape "x-gamers", without any hint on what might cause the offence (is it the hyphen? Why?). When I started adding users, ebox tells me that passwords longer than 15 characters are unacceptable.

That's a bug. It's pretty easy to solve. I'll upload a new package fixing that in a few days.

When I started adding users, ebox tells me that passwords longer than 15 characters are unacceptable.

I'm not sure but maybe it's fixed to 15 for some kind of compatability with old windows machines and samba. I'll try to figure it out and if it's not necessary I'll change it too.

Thanks for your comments :)