Author Topic: Connecting to Zentyal Asterisk with a smartphone running sipdroid  (Read 2451 times)

robb

I just can't figure out how to connect to Zentyal Asterisk using an Android smartphone with sipdroid (or any other sip client/softphone app)

When I configure sipdroid and try to connect, I do see the connection is dropped by the zentyal firewall, but what rule is needed to have authenticated connection to Zentyal-Asterisk?

Another option could be to use openvpn, but that implies that I need to root the smartphone (openvpn can only be installed on rooted android smartphones). I'd rather have it working out of the box.

Any help?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 12:08:45 pm by robb »

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting to Zentyal Asterisk with a smartphone running sipdroid
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:15:53 am »
For Android you can use PPTP, which has native support, I don't like how insecure PPTP is though.

You need to open 5060/UDP and 10000-20000/UDP. Probably something is going funny with NAT... SIP and NAT is a pain in the ass.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting to Zentyal Asterisk with a smartphone running sipdroid
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
for more information,  how are you connecting your softphone to the internet...  if by 3g gprs or any remote network than you need to remember te setup zentyal for remote access to the pbx..

what jsalmero is saying is allmost right,  ppptp is not really as safe as many other vpn features,
but with the right settings is still a lot safer than no tunnel at all.

it would offcaurse be briliant if they would instead  use openvpn client as a library instead of a service for non- rootted phones.
 but thats a feature you should take up with the apps developer.   

All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!