Author Topic: Zentyal 3.0 Roadmap published  (Read 21965 times)

arun

• Zen Monk
  • no windows, no gates, all open
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.0 Roadmap published
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 01:38:17 pm »
As I am already trying to use Zentyal Desktop in production environment with Zentyal 2.0.
Will there be development version released for Zentyal Desktop  ???

Arun

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 03:05:15 pm »
If that's true, then the confusion is rooted in the nature of the Zentyal desktop proposal, as near as I can tell. For example, it seems to me that you are describing something different than I've heard before--something more like what Zentyal Desktop is like now rather than as a Zentyal-branded Ubuntu desktop serving as part of a total office solution, as described (I thought), by everybody else.

Zentyal Desktop will be a set of packages to configure and connect to the server Windows and Ubuntu desktop, no matter if they are bare metal, VDI or LTSP. Will configure authentication, policies, default applications between other things.

As for VDI, that example really means nothing as far as Zentyal goes outside the LTSP-is-to-be-preferred conversation. If Zentyal is willing to entertain LTSP support as a core feature, why not the easy-to-implement, relatively speaking, support for already existing DHCP functionality? Can you see how all this might read as putting non-Ubuntu solutions, broadly speaking, into special use case as a matter of general policy? Especially if the condition for core inclusion is widespread community support in a Linux-oriented community?

In the forums seems to be a lot of people interested on LTSP, they are working on create some step by step very easy to follow documentation so the technology gets spread withing Zentyal administrators. Eventually this could become a module. If you are very interested on VDI, the way to push this upstream would be the same: create documentation, use cases, describe advantages over other solutions, you can create all this on the wiki. Windows and Ubuntu clients will be both first class supported clients, we are not going to leave behind Windows at any moment. Currently Ubuntu lacks some features they are implemented in a native way on Windows, we want to push that on the desktop side. The same way that we want to push Samba4 to the server becomes a full featured Domain Controller like Windows Server is.

Consider the UPS support conversation instead, to understand how easy it is for me to get lost by Zentyal roadmap priorities. I don't mean that as a criticism, but simply as an example of conversation about priorities I cannot grasp. No doubt the limitation is with me.

We know that UPS support is a highly demanded module, let's see what we can do here.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 06:59:30 pm »
@sam - now i do understand your point but there are various degrees and opions on how the dekstop integration should evolve.. some people seem to want it an ltp option only others seem to want to go in other directions

it is and will be the primary task of zentyal is to add (with minimal effort if possible)  features that will streamline the incorporation  of a well featured, easily manageble and seamlessly intergrated desktop based on free software.

use of these additional packages and scripts to build a zentyal-flavored 'semi-official'  install image.
would not take more than a few unhappy hours fideling with remastersys (or any other tool like it) and im sure that it will help new users in many ways (as will it help us (the community to support them).   yet still this is no more than a very small sidestep,  and could be done by just about anyone who ever  build his own remastered disk before..

and i believe i have mentioned enought times that these packages need to be transparrent enought to be usefull in any install case  as a desktop as well as an ltsp-root. or any other possible use-case.
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

jclambert

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 12:21:51 am »
AD domain replacement is my goal.

I have tested some samba based solutions.
... ClearOS
... Zentyal
... Resara

Resara is samba4 already, and as such a bit ahead as a domain server.  Now, Resara does nothing aside from AD emulation, unlike the other products.  That said, I may be forced down that road if the other two options are not viable by mid year.

robb

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 09:41:16 am »
Zentyal 3.0 will probably be released somewhere in the neighbourhood when ubuntu 12.10 comes out (about October 2012 give or take a month) I'm convinced it will be the best release ever! There will be a lot of exciting new features, with Samba4 and Zentyal Desktop as the major features.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 11:54:42 am »
The final release will be in September 2012, and yes, let's hope it will be the best release ever! ;)
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

BuckC

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 11:00:59 pm »
Speaking from someone in the US, many SOHOs, SMBs do not have the $ to upgrade/license Windows servers and/or clients. Many people I speak to are actually looking for a M$ alternative and the license/CAL costs. I am also one who wants a domain controller replacement and have tried other platforms mentioned in this post. Since I am a M$ admin during the day, I have experience in what M$ offers the customer (Enterprise license), so finding a replacement in the Open Source world was hard to find. I currently admin a couple of Zentyal 2.2 installations, and Zentyal is by far the easiest to setup and configure, although I do not use all the features available.

But that is the great thing about this Zentyal solution, you only install/use what you need.

To me Zentyal 3.0 Desktop piece is the finishing touch to a great product, making a somewhat manual complex process into an automated one.

No, I do not work for, nor am I affiliated with Zentyal the company in any manner.

Ken

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:04 pm »
Please be aware the Ubuntu 12.04 LTS has a bug which affects LDAP.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/926350

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 09:55:07 pm »
dear ken - thank you for mentioning it, but as you may know ubuntu 12.04 is still in a beta state and sutch bugs are to be expected... these should be fixed before conical ships ubuntu ...

As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,

Ken

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »
dear ichat, I'm afraid that the issue is not one of technology so much but of policy.  I posted a known fix into a PPA but it causes software license issues.  Unless the license issues are resolved there is a good chance 12.04 will ship with the bug in this report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/926350

The issue is discussed here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2011/02/msg00012.html
    Subject: Re: LGPL library using only LGPL-parts of partially GPL shared library (gnutls, nettle)
    Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 11:23:37 +0100

... Nettle's public key library (libhogweed) uses and links against
    libgmp, which is LGPLv3+. Therefore switching gnutls from gcrypt to
    nettle would break GPLv2-compatibility (GPLv2 without the "or any
    later version " clause). ...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 09:22:56 pm by Ken »

Ken

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »
Some explanations:

With Ubuntu 10.04 (through 11.10)

pam_ldap.so is linked to libgnutls26 which is linked to libgcrypt11

If you log in using an ldap user:
* sudo will work if the ldap connection is non-encrypted (does not use the libgcrypt code which drops setuid)
* sudo will work if the ldap connection is encrypted plus you are running nscd (I'm not really sure why this works, I haven't taken the time to study it)
* sudo will not work if the ldap connection is encrypted and you are not running nscd

With Ubuntu 12.04

pam_ldap.so is linked to libgnutls26 which is still linked to libgcrypt11 (but it's an updated libgnutls26 which could be recompiled to not use libgcrypt11)

* sudo will not work if the ldap connection is encrypted regardless of nscd running or not.
* sudo will work if the ldap connection is not encrypted.

sudo is not the only program, /usr/bin/at has the same issue, basically all setuid binaries do.

When I rebuild gnutls26 without the configuration option to use libgcrypt11 it switches to using libnettle4 but that is linked against libhogweed which is linked against libgmp which is licensed under the Lesser GPL version 3. Debian does not want their main repository to contain any LGPLv3 code.

There was an alternative fix which is to delete a call to the initialization code in libgcrypt11 at the point where thread callbacks entered the libgcrypt11 library but the full effects of making that change were not understood well enough to consider it harmless.  It was proposed that a new API with a second thread callback entry point that did not drop setuid would be added but that was rejected on the grounds that they were going to switch GnuTLS to stop using libgcrypt11 and use nettle instead.  See
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=566351#112

Other Linux distributions avoid all of this by linking pam_ldap.so against libnss3 instead of gnutls.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:04:41 pm by Ken »

nvarona

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2012, 01:32:42 am »
Hello,

Webserver Module for Zentyal is good and serving will but sometimes here comes the problem
  • hardware resources aggressive
  • huge memory fooprint
  • latency problem

Is Zentyal Developers Team has a plan to add at NGINX webserver as a next choice for webserver module. Not a replacement but a second choices for webserver.

Thanks.

graylion

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 01:26:37 am »

wlaszi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2012, 10:11:49 am »
I know, maybe I'm late, but here is my wishlist:
- an OCSP service or a built-in CRL upload method to refresh my external (vpn) servers CRLs when I revoke a cert.
- advanced cert settings interface like XCA
- CA-LDAP integration: link cert to user/machine from LDAP with one click and pre-fill cert create form with the available ldap values.
- less apache dependency, support nginx
- built-in common contact/addressbook support
- pdf manual. Use a public script  to create it myself from html is an unnecesarry round for everybody.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2012, 03:24:42 pm »
your not maybe late you are really late... 

zentyal is already in first feature freeze release, that many no new functions will be added   therefor the next version will most likely be the first  feature complete version...   and hopefully soon after some additonal bugs will be fixed and  we might be off to start  the final stage of bugsquashing...

as things look now,  the community based discussion about zentyals  3.2 roadmap will hopefully start in the next  couple of weeks with its firts innitial discovery steps.

as some of your feature request have been submitted in the right format some time back 1 or more may even be incoperated in the next release version.  (But absolutely no promisses here).
for example some  ca-cert released feature requests, and replacing apache with some other httpd (probably not nginex though because  lighthttpd  outperforms nginx  by a mile or so on  dynamically rendered pages ...  (nginx is mutch more a high load static pages  server (reverse proxy)

yet some have already been implemented ..  like your central contact database  is allready part of the zarafa groupware suite that is included in zentyals main track so there isn't any need to add it anywhere else is there? 

if you would like to post 'detailed' feature request please do so  in the right forum  etc..