Author Topic: Zentyal 3.0 Beta | New master-slave architecture available for testing  (Read 7634 times)

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Dear Zentyal users,

We've just released the new core (2.3.5) and users (2.3.3) packages: these implement the first version of the LDAP synchronization between Zentyal servers and make the new master-slave architecture available for testing!

We would like to highlight the following changes (compared to the master-slave functionality in Zentyal 2.2):

- LDAP-dependant modules allowed in the master
- Better slapd performance in slaves
- Easier slave configuration
- Better error management
- Slaves can also act as masters for other slaves

Please note that this is still under development, so you may find few glitches (e.g. you are allowed to add users on slaves), but we wanted to release these packages as soon as possible to start receiving your feedback.

To test this new master-slave architecture, simply install a fresh Zentyal 2.3, making sure you have Internet connection so you get the latest packages. If you already have a Zentyal 2.3 installed, you can also try upgrading to the latest version in the Software Management page, although on a development version like 2.3 flawless upgrade can't be guaranteed yet.

We're looking forward to receiving your feedback. Happy testing!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:07:48 pm by J. A. Calvo »
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

robb

- LDAP-dependant modules allowed in the master

You guys ROCK!  ;D

christian

whooa !!!! cool.  :)  :)
This is not the most suitable time for me to have a look but I will definitely try.

As you have now reach this point (nice achievement BTW), put somewhere in the (development) pipe capability to potentially split MTA and MDA. This will provide much more flexibility and reliability in case of deployment over multiple sites.

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
am i wrong to think that this is only just 1 step away from 'sub domain trusts and delegated domains in any future version of zentyal.
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

christian

am i wrong to think that this is only just 1 step away from 'sub domain trusts and delegated domains in any future version of zentyal.

Yes I think you are  ;)  let's discuss this elsewhere (I mean not in the "announcement" section).
To make it short, domain (with Microsoft meaning) is linked with Samba, not with LDAP, even if LDAP is the back-end.One may have multiple different "Microsoft domain" relying on same, single, LDAP server, even if such example is kind of stupid  :-[

stuartiannaylor

Did you create another thread?

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
@christian i was talking rather about,  'rights delegation' and 'role delegation'   for example, in the sence of dns, but also other services 

for example   it states that you can create a slave of a slave... 
i wil call the master: . .  . .  master   (company.com)
its slave  . . . . . . . . . . . . . slave.master  (office.company.com)
and the slave of the slave . slave.slave.master (mail.office.company.com)

now the quesiton will be if  slave.slave.master   is a delegate (sub part) of the master, or just  a clone copy providing diferent services.   in  a forrest for example  i could define a subset of the users to interact just with the local server at a branch office...   office-a.company.com and  mail.office-a.company.com 
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

christian

:P :P wording does matter here  :P :P (not nitpicking)

Your wrote "master/slave, forest, sub-domain" but meant DNS and potentially other services. It was a bit confusing  :-[ therefore my comment.
Your point, although valid, is not the one, if I'm not wrong, addressed by these new packages. Not yet at least  ;)

graylion

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Zentyal 3.0 Beta | New master-slave architecture available for testing
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:35:27 pm »
Indeed! especially for Zarafa!