Author Topic: [Solved] - Web server not being seen on the internet?  (Read 2422 times)

scrosler

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[Solved] - Web server not being seen on the internet?
« on: November 19, 2011, 11:47:14 pm »
First off thanks for this great product. Its the only distro that I have tried that is... 1. Simple to use, 2. Easy to Configure and most importantly 3. Runs well on an old P4 2.8GHZ Machine with only 2 gigs of RAM.

But I have one question / problem in regards to configuration.

I have set up the webserver, and it serves pages but only to the intranet and not the internet. When I try to access my domain (eg: www.domain.com) on my intranet it pulls up fine. When I try to access the domain from the web it just times out.  Its not a config problem before the gateway (cable modem) because I can put in a port forward on the Zentyal box to another machine that runs as a web server and it is perfectly accessible from the outside. But even when I port forward to another machine, when on the intranet, the same domain still pulls up the Zentyal web server.  Im confused?

Im, for the most part, a Linux newb. I am sure this a configuration issue with the Zentyal machine but I dont know how to configure it properly.

Can any one assist or provide feedback... But before you do keep this in mind....

1. This is not a production webserver, its a private server so I can learn PHP but I need it accessible from the web. I have read through all sorts of posts on here and understand that's not a recommend configuration due to security risks but that is not a worry for me.

2. I am new to the shell. I figured out how to install phpadmin via a tutorial on here but that is about the extent of my command line experience.

With that being said... What can I do to make this work?

Thank you!

-Scott
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:04:03 am by scrosler »

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Web server not being seen on the internet?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 03:05:38 am »
Assuming that your Zentyal box has direct access to the net (no router or similar) you have to configure the firewall for access from the outside.
By default it is disabled.
Go to :
Firewall>Packet Filter>External networks to Zentyal
and create a new rule:
Service HTTP, source any, destination Zentyal.

That should do it.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

scrosler

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:41:55 am »
That worked exactly as I wanted!  ;D 

Thank you!

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:03:27 am »
You're welcome, could you please edit the title of your first post and put [Solved] before the subject?
I hope you enjoy your Zentyal server.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

scrosler

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [Solved] - Web server not being seen on the internet?
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 06:05:21 am »
Yes, I am really enjoying the simplicity. I also love the fact that i have it on a very dated machine and it performs as well as a high end machine! lol

I have edited the title of the thread. Thanks again for the assistance!

-Scott