Author Topic: Zentyal 2.2 64-bit (ubuntu server 10.04)Captive Portal Redirection and Wifi  (Read 3145 times)

janosch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi all,

after having used Zentyal in 20User private environment, which is working great btw, I came across 2 problems I was not able to solve by myself neither could I find an appropriate topic in this forum (same for the rest of the internet).
My network-config is:
DSL Modem <--> Zentyal Gateway 2.2 <--> 16 port switch
Hardware Config: Desktop PC, ACER S461 QUAD CORE Q6600 4GB 160GB, 2 x gb nic

1 Problem:
We use the captive portal for assigned quotas for each of the users, which works fine so far, with one exception:
sometimes (as it appears randomly) users get the following message after having logged in at the captive portal:
---
OK
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
---

I can't figure out what to do to solve this.
Any ideas?

2 Problem:

I would like to add a wifi access point to the configuration which enforces the captive portal login as well, as far as I could get here was 1 login for all the users, which is quite inefficient for obvious reasons. And as soon as i turn off dhcp on the AP the users do not get any ip anymore (means they dont get an ip from the gateway) I tried several approaches which were suggested here but could not make it work.

If anyone has an idea about the above I would appreciate if that person could point me in the right direction.

cheers

jan

christian

Regarding point #1, message clearly state that you should look at log. Obviously you did it  ;D Is there anything suspicious there?

For what concerns your point #2: I suppose you forgot to configure your AP to relay DHCP requests to your LAN so that IP's are delivered by Zentyal. What is your AP brand?

janosch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
*2: stupid error on my side....put it into gateway mode instead of router....
*1: if I just knew where the log was....:D i am pretty new to this stuff...would you ind pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks anyways christian,

cheers

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
/var/log/     inside that you will find directories with other log files in them.

I usually look first at /var/log/zentyal/zentyal.log   

janosch

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi,

had a look in the zentyal.log and there are heaps of all kinds of errors.
I'll look into the other logs this arvo when I come back from work. I disabled the captive portal
 which seems to have caused the error, ever since the problem disappeared.
Well I ll get back to you later with "hopefully" new ideas/infos from the server.
Cheers

exekias

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bug Theory
Hi Janosh,

and sorry for the delay in my answer...

The log you are looking for should be located under /var/log/zentyal-captiveportal/ path

Take a look at error.log and zentyal.log

Best regards