Author Topic: [SOLVE] Any Suggest  (Read 3341 times)

aspangilinan

• Zen Warrior
  • Cis-Computer Information Services
    • View Profile
[SOLVE] Any Suggest
« on: November 03, 2011, 03:53:47 pm »
Hi to all,

anyone suggest or comment my choose specs.

Intel Core i7-2600 (3.4G) 8mb 32nm
Intel BLKDZ68DBB3 Motherboard VSL/Virtu/ISRT
Intel Raid Controller Integrated RAID RMS2MH080
8GB Kingston Hyper X memory 4gbx2
1.0TB Seagate Barracuda Sata3 x 2
Power Supplier 700watts

for new build zentyal 64bit v2.2.1  (i just want to know if compatible this specs.)

for immediate comment or suggest.

thanks
Arnel
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 11:10:27 am by aspangilinan »

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
Re: Any Suggest
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 04:04:03 pm »
Hello,

** This is only my own opinion **

Intel Raid Controller Integrated RAID RMS2MH080
I prefer soft/fake RAID.

1.0TB Seagate Barracuda Sata3 x 2
I had to much bad experiences using Seagate HDD.  I rather postpone an installation for a week instead of using those HDD. Western Digital is, still from my experience, way more reliable.

Best,

Marcus

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 04:12:56 pm »
Marcus and aspangilinan

I also use software raid....  my OS uses 2X500 in raid 1 and storage uses 2X2TB in raid 6.  Software raid makes it easy to migrate or change thins.  I use webmin to manage it graphically because I am not that good with command line.
I use the AMD hexacore and that handles the software raid no problem.... the core I7-2600 is even faster and better so you should be fine with not using a dedicated raid controller..... the systems should still work pretty fast.

Mine are all seagate drives.... actually in every machine in my house and my parents I have used Seagate drives..... knock on wood no failures or problems... hahahah :)

aspangilinan

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:53:29 pm »
Thank you Marcus and vshaulsk for your suggestion/comment

vshaulsk
me also i have experience seagate brand, now i choose WESTERN DIGITAL and software raid.

how about my preferred motherboard what do you think Intel BLKDZ68DBB3 Motherboard VSL/Virtu/ISRT this model.

thanks
Arnel

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:58:42 pm »
I don't know anything about that motherboard...  The only thing I would suggest is to look online and see how well it works with linux.

I am using an MSI board 890X series for my AMD and I found out that for some reason the linux OS does not pickup the cpu temperature.  I am still working on a solution, but I have found others with the same problem online.  Can't find the correct driver or something (I don't remember exactly right now).

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:12:35 pm »
Its all opinion and my preference on performance / price / features. http://uk.asus.com/Server_Workstation/Server_Motherboards/P8BM/

I like the micro-atx board as it makes a compact server.

I must admit being a WD freak but not all disks are the same.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=30

Its a choice between re4 or re4-gp depending on application.

Usually I will bung in a dual port Nic and have one port for wan and bond or bridge the other 3.

robb

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 10:58:03 am »
This looks like to me a 'pick a lot of firepower' so it must be ok for any situation.

What is the server going to be used for? Because it has rather heavy specs for an average SMB environment. Since there are not that many power consuming elements, a 700W PSU seems to me overkill. I would rather invest in a high efficient PSU (bronze/silver/gold certified) that has specs that come closer to the needs of the system. A PSU works more efficient at 50-75% of it's capacity than at 10-30% of it's capacity.
As for the disks: why do you choose these 1T disks? There are enterprise grade disks that cost a bit more but are so much more reliable. For instance the WD RE4 disks.

The hardware Raid Controller seems an OK solution to me. I would prefer a hardware controller over softraid anyway, but that is probably because of I am more familiar with hardware controllers than with software raid. The good part about this controller is the memory (for speed) and battery backed cache module, so you don't loose data when an array fails.

The components will be compatible for Zentyal 2.2 (you will be able to install ubuntu 10.04, so Zentyal can be installed too) but as you don't provide any info on the purpose of this server, an advice if this is the best setup for your server is impossible to give.

christian

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 11:34:47 am »
@Robb  +1  I share all of your points.
- Way overkill configuration for SMB purpose.
- PSU efficiency
- RAID choice
- last but not least, hard disk choice: reliability does matter here

I would add that if performance matters (and I suppose it does given huge configuration you expose here), I would install system on SSD and keep your standard disks for /var and data.

-------------------------------------------------------

"I'm riding Ducati 750. Is it OK?"

::)  well, it depends on what you intend to do with such a motorbike... if you see what I mean  :P

aspangilinan

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
ZENTYAL 64BIT 2.2.3 / MACHINE SPECS.
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 11:17:38 am »
Hi to all,

i use this specification a lot of memory but i feel the performance getting slower, is there any wrong with specification or compatibility.

INTEL CORE I7-2600K (3.4GHZ)UNLOCKED/8MB CACHE/3000 HDGFX/LGA1155 PROCESSOR
ASUS P8Z68-V (B3)Z68/4DDR3/2SATA3/SLI&CROSSFIREX/LUCIDLOGIC VIRTU/ISRT/S/BTGO/DIP2/ATX MOTHERBOARD
4x4  16GB KINGSTON 4GB DDR3 HYPER X GENESIS 1600MHZ (KHX1600C9D3/4G)
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB CAVIAR BLACK SATA 64MB
FSP AURUM 700 80PLUS GOLD SLI 700WATTS POWER SUPPLY

please comment and suggestion.

thanks.
Arnel

aspangilinan

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ZENTYAL 64BIT 2.2.3 / MACHINE SPECS.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 11:18:42 am »
this server serve as EMAIL SERVER, FILE SERVER and PDC.

christian

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 11:29:19 am »
is it related to this (similar) post:
http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php/topic,8581.msg35616.html#msg35616 ?

In such case, I can merge it if you want...  ;)

aspangilinan

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 12:09:21 pm »
ok i agree to merge.
thanks.
-------------------------------------
Note from moderator: so I merged it. It would be nice if you could continue similar discussion on existing topic instead of creating a new one  ;)

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:30:27 pm by christian »

robb

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 03:35:11 pm »
How many users are configured on this server?
I am still astonished about the massive firepower for an SMB server.
Sure, more memory will make a server smoother, but where is the balance between investment in hardware and the use of the system? What are you/your customer willing to pay for energie costs?

If this is just for email, file and PDC, I strongly suggest to reconsider your configuration.

You _could_ consider using a server with such specs as a (bare metal) virtual server host and configure several VM's on it to serve all the network needs.

aspangilinan

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 03:47:19 pm »
for now almost 20users, 3 folder shared. i try to replace the NIC Card. then i let you know what is the latest update.

thanks.
Arnel

christian

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 04:13:12 pm »
the point is that "performance is poor" is almost meaning less. Do not take it the bad way  :D i mean that it deserves some explanation. What performance are we talking about? I'm pretty sure you mean Samba (file sharing) and refer to read/write operations (I would be very surprised if you have any authentication or mail related issue).
Increasing hardware "size" will most likely not affect CIFS performance... what is your expectation here (figures) and what do you get currently?