Author Topic: KVM Virtual Machine - how to set up a bridged guest?  (Read 6663 times)

thorsten

Re: KVM Virtual Machine - how to set up a bridged guest?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 11:55:52 pm »
Hi Half_Life,

no change and still frustrated, Trails so far:

Edited /etc/network/interfaces according to your posting (of course in several other How-To-Do manuals, too) - after reboot all changes are deleted from the interfaces file but br0 was running. No connect to / from the the VM at al

Installed bridge utils, created a br0 via brctl addbr br0. consequence: no interface visible on /etc/network/interfaces, but br0 online (without IP) on the Zentyal dashboard  and of course no connect from / to the VM at al.

I am  short to start using swear words on Zentyal .... this is really, really crap. I do not know what happens. VMWare Server 2.0 was running prerfectly when installed parallel to Zentyal 2.0 and a bridge was easy to setup. I do not understand that nobody else does compains about it.

Thanks for any new ideas,
best regards

PS.: What about DRBD - Did you install already in combination with hearbeat? What is you impression?

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 01:06:58 pm »
The bridge can be done directly from Zentyal interface, don't mess up stuff editing /etc/network/interfaces :)

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 01:45:53 am »
Sorry for coming back to this late,  I am out of town this week.  Jsalermo  I was unable to get the interface to create a bridge.  Looking at the interfaces file, I see where it switched the interface over to manual but made no further changes.  Brctl show shows no bridges are created.  What is the trick to it?

thorsten

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2011, 05:29:15 pm »
Hi,

my problem, too, see other postes related to KVM by bridging / switch / nat: Even on a clean Zentyal Installation (it was the first thing I tried) using the Zentyal virtual module I did not make any network run - I bridged (according to how-to-s) by brctl, via Zentyal network via editor on interfaces. All I made work was a NAT - but not permanently - just until the next Save on Zentyal or Sever reboot. Via brctl I was able to place a working bridge, but (I think) it got blocked from Zentyal firewall (see other topics ...

Regards
Thorsten