Author Topic: PPTP VPN server with Ebox PDC authentication  (Read 21504 times)

vlados

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Re: PPTP VPN server with Ebox PDC authentication
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 11:18:15 pm »
ahahha :)))) I didn't ;)

pipiak

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 11:44:36 am »
I have a problem with step :
sudo net rpc join -U Administrator

Answer is always: Unable to find a suitable server for domain EBOX
PLS someone help me!

cloakable

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »
Just a thought, but
Code: [Select]
ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1"
Could easily be changed to
ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1 --require-membership-of=pptp"
To restrict PPTP VPN usage to certain people easily.

Saturn2888

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 09:51:57 am »
Hey Francesco,

Thanks a lot for this how to. We will  probably include a small module ebox-pptp to automatize this as it's pretty simple.

Thanks!!!1

I'm assuming this was never made, but it still seems like a good idea to include since it would probably be pretty simple to setup. I mean, it's even more simplistic than OpenVPN, it gives people more choice and a lot more flexibility, and it's a fantastic way to compete with the big name small- and medium-sized business servers which rely on the simplistic Microsoft and Apple VPN services. It's also easy enough to setup in a Linux Live; especially on Ubuntu Desktop and variants like Linux Mint.

Just a thought, but
ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1"
Could easily be changed to
ntlm_auth-helper "/usr/bin/ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=ntlm-server-1 --require-membership-of=pptp"
To restrict PPTP VPN usage to certain people easily.

This looks extremely useful. How would the session get hijacked anyway? Dictionary attacks? Isn't EAP-TLS supposed to be really secure for PPTP? If you guys leave way to better security options and permissions for a PPTP connection, I think you'll hit the jackpot. It would be nice to say "let this computer into the network, but all it gets access to is RDP" so port 3389. That's all some people use VPN for anyway.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:56:01 am by Saturn2888 »

asapkota

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 08:21:00 pm »
I am trying to setup EBox 1.4 as a PDC for our small office (10 users). Users need to be able to access the domain and shares from remote locations using a VPN. Since, PPTP is built into windows I am trying to setup pptpd. I have followed the instructions on this post as well as the one from ticket 1268. I am able to connect to the pptp server but it does not accept the username and password. The log says: DOMAIN\\user failed CHAP authentication. Any help regarding this matter is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 11:16:15 pm »
Hey Francesco,

Thanks a lot for this how to. We will  probably include a small module ebox-pptp to automatize this as it's pretty simple.

Thanks!!!1
Even Microsoft {MurderSoft} drop this PPTP thing in favour for L2TP

I'd like to see L2TP thow as it is really a better solution - Implemented on the Level 2 of the OSI Stack it make more sense.  I have a couple Sony-Ericson X10's and they have native L2TP / PPTP IPSec Support in Android (The Google Mobile Phone Software)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:17:51 pm by JPB »