Author Topic: [SOLVED]joining windows 7 clients to zentyal radius  (Read 5781 times)

donmay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED]joining windows 7 clients to zentyal radius
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:35:52 am »
[SOLVED]hello people i am a zentyal newbie and i am trying some new things from zentyal in my lab.i created a radius server on zentyal and the connected it to a dlink access point.my ubuntu clients and mac clients even my ipad can wirelessly connect to my network using the radius service.BUT MY WINDOWS 7 CLIENT CANNOT LOGIN.
please can anyone help me with regards to this problem!??
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:47:55 pm by donmay »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: joining windows 7 clients to zentyal radius
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 05:56:54 pm »
There are two gotyas to look for.
1)  Is the user credentials that you use to log into Win7 the same as a user on the Zentyal system?
2)  You need to uncheck the "verify Server Certificate" unless you have a real certificate (Zentyal issues a snake-oil certificate out of the box).  I don't have a Win7 machine here at home to reference to tell you exactly where to go to check these two issues.  Perhaps someone here can provide step by step guidance if you need this before tomorrow when I return to work.

donmay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »
Thank you very much.Please is there a (how to) on how to do this please because i have a project i want to implement and it is paramount that windows clients are used

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 07:09:03 pm »
I have implemented this at work and at home.  I am supporting Windows 7 Pro at work.  If you can wait until tomorrow,  I can do some screen grabs and give you a step by step example.

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 07:10:56 pm »
After more closely reading your initial post,  I am almost certain that it is a problem where your windows credentials are being presented automatically.

donmay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:20:18 pm »
Thank you very much i will wait until tomorrow for the screen shots for windows 7 thank you very much!!!!!

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:30:26 pm »
I have a win7 box for reference now.  Go to the network sharing center and on the left hand side  select "manage wireless networks".  Pick your AP from the list and right-click.  Select properties.  Make sure that 802.1X is selected and the encryption type is WEP.  Network authentication is PEAP and select the settings just to the right of PEAP.   Unselect Validate server certificate (this has a tendency to reset back to on if there is connectivity problems).  Set the method to MSCHAPV2 and click the configure to the right.  If your user credentials used to log in to Windows do not match Zentyal, uncheck this option. 

donmay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:43:51 pm »
Thank you very much for your Effort and reply.Without your help i would have not gotten a solution to my problem.

on the security type: i used wpa2 enterprise

and on the encryption type i sed AES.
other than that i followed the rest of your explanation and it worked perfectly.
Thank you again