Author Topic: Captive Portal + Wifi  (Read 6782 times)

c4rdinal

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Captive Portal + Wifi
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2011, 03:28:14 am »
Being the gateway is enough, DNS+DHCP could be another server. Anyway, my suggestion is just to put the AP in bridged mode so you have everything in the same network.

jsalamero, thank you for taking time to answer.

I just wanna clarify how to accomplish what you said " just to put the AP in bridged mode so you have everything in the same network."
Shall I make the Zentyal Interface connected to the AP in bridge mode and assign an IP address to the AP the same subnet as the Zentyal server?

Thank you in advance.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 03:29:50 am by c4rdinal »

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2011, 09:52:15 am »
The AP has DD-WRT on it, as I understand correctly?
It seems like you still do some sort of routing because you talk about WAN and LAN interface, just go into the DD-WRT configuration and make the WAN port part of the switch. Then it will just be an AP, no WAN interface.
Proceed to assign the IP address that will be only for the AP's managment purposes, for clients it will be transparent as they all sit on the same subnet.
If you can't do that, plug the network cable coming from Zentyal in one of the lan ports. Then it is bridged.

I have a DIR-300 flashed with DD-WRT and it is only AP. Clients get their IP from Zentyal and Zentyal is the gateway for the wireless clients.
The DHCP server of DD-WRT will still work (it can hand out IP's on that same LAN segment) but I prefer Zentyal handing out IP's.   

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

c4rdinal

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2011, 10:28:10 am »
The AP has DD-WRT on it, as I understand correctly?
No, Netgear WNR3500 does not have DD-WRT firmware.

It seems like you still do some sort of routing because you talk about WAN and LAN interface, just go into the DD-WRT configuration and make the WAN port part of the switch. Then it will just be an AP, no WAN interface.
I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by this. Do you mean WAN AND LAN will be of the same subnet?

Proceed to assign the IP address that will be only for the AP's management purposes, for clients it will be transparent as they all sit on the same subnet. If you can't do that, plug the network cable coming from Zentyal in one of the lan ports. Then it is bridged.

I did this but (AP connected to a switch together with Zentyal Server on the same VLAN) but did not get any DHCP IP Lease from Zentyal server for the my client PC or wireless and wired connection.

I disabled DHCP (advanced settings) on the AP and then plug a pc in the switch part of the AP. This setting doesn't give a DHCP Address from Zentyal server.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:33:17 am by c4rdinal »

vshaulsk

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2011, 03:31:22 pm »
Just my 2 cents on how I have setup my AP and captive portal... maybe this will help you.

zentyal server (internal interface)------switch------AP-------client

Zentyal internal interface is using 802.1Q Vlan.   It is connected to a VLan capable switch.   One of the Vlans is designated for wifi guest.  In zentyal under captive portal I have this Vlan checked.  Under the DHCP module I have setup a range for this VLan.

From the VLAN switch (in the correct port) I have it connected to my AP.  The AP is set to AP mode and the DHCP server is turned off.   

I can see the AP device under zentyal DHCP leases and when clients connect to it they also get a DHCP lease from zentyal and they have to authenticate through captive portal. 

Now I have also done this setup using my Netgear WNDR3700 rounter.  The only thing is you cant connect from the VLAN switch to the WAN of the router..... you have to connect to the LAN of the router. 
If you connect to the LAN port of the router (make sure your netgear has DHCP turned off) it will become a regular switch.  After that your clients should start getting DHCP lease from the zentyal when they are connected to the netgear.

zentyal(internal interface 802.1Q)(captive port, DHCP,DNS Vlan13)-------(trunk port)VLAN switch(vlan13port)------(lan port)Netgear(Netgear DHCP turned off)--------client(the client receive DHCP, DNS and captive portal from Zentyal)

c4rdinal

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
Re: Captive Portal + Wifi [SOLVED]
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 08:56:07 am »
Problem solved. Thanks for all the inputs!