Author Topic: Partitioning for dummies ! for Zentyal CD Installer [SOLVED]  (Read 4839 times)

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
Partitioning for dummies ! for Zentyal CD Installer [SOLVED]
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:51:07 am »
For some reason, they say its to be able to recover from desasters, some Linux users partition drives rather stupid. This layout is created by the Distribution CD.

Code: [Select]
Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000c3dfd

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1          32      248832   83  Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2              32      121602   976510977    5  Extended
/dev/sda5              32      121602   976510976   8e  Linux LVM
Code: [Select]
root@chaos:~# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/chaos-root
                      895G  653G  197G  77% /
none                  3.9G  272K  3.9G   1% /dev
none                  3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev/shm
none                  3.9G  4.2M  3.9G   1% /var/run
none                  3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /var/lock
none                  3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /lib/init/rw
none                  895G  653G  197G  77% /var/lib/ureadahead/debugfs
/dev/sda1             228M  144M   73M  67% /boot

The problem is a few months down the line the / {root} partition fills up and voila big mess!

To fix the problem takes an anormous amount of time and Knowledge.

PPL keep it simple, Make backup, and Make One Pasrtition so that isf something Fill up its NOT the tmp directory or the root one!
If the Whole disk fills up then ok, the chances for this is somewhat smaller than the cylinders allocated by the Distribution.!!!

It happened 3x in RL running environments it will happen again.  PPL think about this find a nother solution if you absolutely HAVE to partition is pieces!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:29:07 pm by JPB »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: Stoopid Partitioning by Zentyal CD Installer
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 12:37:43 pm »
If you select the automatic mode, then the "use full disk" recipe of the Ubuntu Installer (not defined by Zentyal at all) is applied. If you don't like it, you just need to use the expert mode and define your custom partition layout...
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 01:51:51 pm »
JPB,

first of all this should be posted as a bugg if you think it is one, 
second of all your posting a duplicate post on this forum, 

so please let me quote a part of the 'basic best use of forums guide';  if you think you have a problem, first search through the forums mailing list and other helpfull information sources befor posting,  it may be that your problem has already been solved or is being talked about at the moment,  in those cased consider commenting on those topics rather than creating a new one.

thank you   

All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 12:10:07 am »
If you select the automatic mode, then the "use full disk" recipe of the Ubuntu Installer (not defined by Zentyal at all) is applied. If you don't like it, you just need to use the expert mode and define your custom partition layout...
Exactly My point, Do we Wish to have Zentyal only be installed by Experts .... Or can there be an well thought out - Auto Install eventually that include a Zentyal install for Dummies or Stoopid Ppl - eg automatic mode!

Sam Graf

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:31:15 am »
There already has been significant community discussion about the benefits of an automatic partition scheme better suited to Zentyal's purposes, and perhaps Zentyal's users. Of course, the Zentyal development team can accomplish just so much with the resources they have available.

So your suggestion is well understood. In the meantime, Ubuntu's installer is what we've got to work with, and we will have to make the best of the tools it provides, whatever their shortcomings.

robb

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:29:02 am »
The options now are:
- use the default (auto) partitioning scheme. IF you run into a filling up of the root partition, there is a step by step guide to enlarge the root partition HERE
- Do some reading and create your own custom partitioning scheme. For example HERE is a guide. For more information on partitioning of Ubuntu based systems, have alook OVERHERE.

JPB

• Zen Monk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:27:59 pm »
The options now are:
- use the default (auto) partitioning scheme. IF you run into a filling up of the root partition, there is a step by step guide to enlarge the root partition HERE
- Do some reading and create your own custom partitioning scheme. For example HERE is a guide. For more information on partitioning of Ubuntu based systems, have alook OVERHERE.
Good I must also Comment that the level of Community support improved a lot! Thanx, Ill tone down on my header up there - Soz for that