Author Topic: ebox dns configuration  (Read 5997 times)

brianincontrol

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
ebox dns configuration
« on: November 28, 2008, 05:34:19 pm »
Hi all,

I am fairly new to ebox and have some questions. I feel the documentation lacks a little bit and i don't understand how to configure or check the dns server. I want to use it for resolving ip's on my local network only. I really need some help getting started. any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Brian

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: ebox dns configuration
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:43:09 pm »
First of all, you have to enable the module in module status -> Domain Name server.  If you want  to resolve local machines you will have to create a domain in DNS -> Domains and create host names with its IP.

brianincontrol

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 06:13:27 pm »
ok, thanks for the reply.

I did enable it and added a domain and host. but it doesn't seem to work. I tried directing it back to the apachie web server with the web page that says is works and have been unable to get that to come up.

also I am new to this type of server and this is probable a dumb question but when I installed ubuntu and ebox it asked me for infomation ie... domain name etc. however when i set up the mail sever I had to create a virtual doamin for that. whats the difference?
why not automatically use the one i set up in the first place? why did i have to create a new virtual domain for the mail server.

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:31:29 am »
I did enable it and added a domain and host. but it doesn't seem to work. I tried directing it back to the apache web server with the web page that says is works and have been unable to get that to come up.
In order to test DNS server, you must set in your client as primary nameserver eBox. Anyway, you may try from a linux machine with this command:
Code: [Select]
$ dig @ip_eBox yourdomain.com
Check the results to see if the mapping works.
also I am new to this type of server and this is probable a dumb question but when I installed ubuntu and ebox it asked me for infomation ie... domain name etc. however when i set up the mail sever I had to create a virtual doamin for that. whats the difference?
why not automatically use the one i set up in the first place? why did i have to create a new virtual domain for the mail server.
Every question done by a package will be overriden by eBox package itself. So you may safely ignore all those questions except for two done by eBox package.

Best regards,
My secret is my silence...