Author Topic: Localized "How To" and official documentation translation  (Read 8690 times)

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
Re: Localized "How To" and official documentation translation
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2011, 10:54:12 pm »
well i think that  1 forum fits all is nice on a small scale to try stuff out and maybe even finding some like-minded (same language) people..   BUT..   having a single place for all related stuff  could be prefered over a mixed can...

when i now read the forum (all new post since last visit) i first have to check if its actually in my language... before i even read it...  - to just give 1 stupid example. 

look at  localized ubuntu user groups and forums...    and still i see tons of localized material translated back to global... 

if you realy like "a documentation team"  it will also emediately resolve the scattered information problem..  since any of its members can organise  that local contributions are translated into english and later on any other language out there...

a teacher at my ict-college once told me that the sole reason for windows  overpowering linux was that  you could ase even your naighbour kid for help fixing 'drivers'   - he obviously ment that the shorter string on support  was getting more people interested...    now lets make that happen for  zentyal linux...   

All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 07:00:03 pm »
Bonjour,

Si il est possible de dupliquer la doc anglophone et la placer sous http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/French , je serai heureux d'y contribuer en effectuant la traduction.

Cordialement,

Marcus

christian

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 08:47:32 am »
Marcus,

thank you for this offer. Since, no need to duplicate the English "HowTo". You can contribute in the French section directly, either translating what you feel important to be translated of posting there "HowTo" in French, thank you Zentyal team having set-up this French section for us.

robb

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 09:46:23 am »
To get started with the Dutch HowTo's, I'd like to have a Dutch section too. Can this be arranged?

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »
Hello christian,

no need to duplicate the English "HowTo". You can contribute in the French section directly, either translating what you feel important to be translated of posting there "HowTo" in French, thank you Zentyal team having set-up this French section for us.

I'll give it a shot-

Best,

Marcus
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 05:38:10 pm by Marcus »

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 11:12:07 pm »
To get started with the Dutch HowTo's, I'd like to have a Dutch section too. Can this be arranged?

Sure, anyone with a forum account is allowed to edit and create contents under the community section of the Zentyal trac.

To create the Dutch section just go to https://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Documentation/Community/Dutch and click "create this page" ;)
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

robb

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:45 am »
Done...  ;D

btw.... it's http and not https

« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:22:39 pm by robb »

nachico

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Learning To Fly
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2011, 05:16:00 pm »
Wow!!! Wiki translation is progressing fast! Maybe ichat will be eventually right and we should actually be working on localized forums and wikis? Let's reopen the discussion again once 2.2 is out and we have some time available for it.
CEO at Zentyal

ichat

• Zen Hero
  • RTFM!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2011, 05:58:49 pm »
in the mean while ive done some research ...

few things that came out of this...
>>>  looking for a cms / framwork  / platform that could easily  be turned in to multible websites while retaining a single code base, featuring at least:   forums, wiki's,  articles,   and other webstuf of minor importance like polls gallerys  etc.  - this 'plaftform should be independant of zentyals main site  and server (mainly for safety reasons, and stability of the main site (dont trust external users, not even me).  ).

contestants are 
>> joomla - easy to manage, widely used,  but poor wiki intergration, and poor code quality, for large sites.
>>   drupal  poor module intergration  no wiki,   easy to code with, bad for large sites.

neither of witch could eventually pursway me to try them on a larger (than homegrown website).  scale..
but than i came across tikiwiki  wich i remembered only because its funny name  ... and a few reviews on a dutch techsite.    this whas my first attemt at it and it actually seems to be quite ok..

it features  build in wiki,  forum, photo albums, articles, review sections, polls   and dozens of other features.   its updated frequently and deserves a try...   it can even authenticate agains an ldap db.   so SSO may even be possible..   

will be starting translations  when a few minor  things have been discused in  the dutch sub-forum.   
 /ichat out.
All tips hints and advices are based on my personal experience.
As I try my best to be as accurate as possible, following my advice is always at your own risk,
I claim absolutely NO responsibility in any way!

robb

nachico

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Learning To Fly
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2011, 01:51:07 pm »
Done :)
CEO at Zentyal