Author Topic: Ideas for integrating Zentyal into existing environment?  (Read 3645 times)

christian

Re: Ideas for integrating Zentyal into existing environment?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 05:46:06 pm »
 ;) Are you thinking that Microsoft is always expensive and Linux always free  ;) *

I should refrain myself with this kind of comment  :-X  ;D ;D but have a look at this page:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/imapsync/announcements/795-imapsync-is-ten-years-old
and appreciate the "may".
Normal cost is 30 euros whatever the platfrom (it's not Microsoft vs. Linux battle)
There is a special cost (10 euros) for the tenth anniversary
You "may" find it elsewhere for free  ;)

*  I do think that Microsoft is often very expensive and I'm convinced that equivalent solution can be deployed with open source (I'm not writing freeware here) for cheaper. Then it's a matter of SLA. Same level of SLA (in term of support or maintenance) will have almost the same cost, either in Microsoft or Linux world. If you don't need this level of support and are confident that community will support you as efficiently (which I believe to be often the case), then and only then Linux can be significantly cheaper.

jimmyland

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 08:22:29 pm »
I'm beginning to see why the client's setup is the way it is... there's really no impetus in moving to a DC environment with SSO and resource management. The 20 or so client PCs are a mix of home/pro versions of xp and win7. The users are not demanding at all, half of them don't login to the PC everyday. Only a couple of people check e-mail on the road.

I'll try to bring up a test zentyal system and see where the benefit may be. Might be cheaper and better for the client to keep things as they are and just maintain them. I was just hoping for a cleaner way of administering the environment.

christian

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 08:58:55 pm »
With a mix of "pro" and "non pro" Windows clients, deploying DC would mean some client upgrade, meaning also significant cost for benefit that has still to be measured (try to make a business case first). Next "client", if any, could also be Linux (Ubuntu ?  ;)).
So, client side, OS does matter.
Then you have to decide, still client side because this side is not as flexible as server side, what kind of interface you want to use for various services.
I understand that browser is already used for at least one application but I'm confused with mail because I don't understand what Zimbra brings to Thunderbird mail client (or I misunderstand your design).

If goal is to provide mail only, you can deploy what I call "standard" mail set up (mail service in Zentyal) which permits to use either Thunderbird or webmail as client.
If goal is to do a bit more with workflow, calendar etc... then Zarafa is a good choice although it is aimed at serving best outlook clients  ::)

In any case, even if you do not deploy DC (which is my advice based on what you describe), you will benefit from Zentyal thanks to:
- central account management and therefore similar login for your application (assuming it can move to LDAP authentication, which is very likely) and mail but also file sharing (no need to have domain here, workgroups work too)
- proxy service with potentially access control if needed later.
- DHCP, DNS, anti-virus, spam control (I suppose you have it already, even if you describe Zimbra, I guess there is a bit of Postfix and maybe spamassassin somewhere  ???)

Well, introducing Zentyal will not be a revolution but can be smooth cheap evolution toward something better controlled, better meaning also easier  8)

SSO is another story... except if you mean Same Sign-On rather than Single Sign-On  ;D  ;D 

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 09:13:46 pm »
What apps do they use? What are main uses.

Currently you can use zentyal as a PDC just don't bother with roaming profiles.
Zarafa will provide excellent results and much can be gained for company communications also backed by xjabberd instant messaging.
If your clients are not domain capable they will still join as a workgroup. This gives you the chance to slowly bring things together.

Also ever thought of going to ubuntu or other linux clients?

jimmyland

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »
A lot of the existing environment has to do more with legacy than anything else. Thunderbird is there because prior to running zimbra, their mail server is just postfix and courier. People are used to the mail client and didn't really have a reason to move.

The main use for the PCs is to access a homegrown php webapp. That app handles all of their erp as well as HR functions. It wouldn't be very disruptive if I slowly switch some people to ubuntu as long as they get a mail client and a browser to access the homegrown app. The only hiccup would be that everyone's used to having local admin rights and are used to installing things on a whim (flash player, pdf creator, spotify, etc).

As for SSO, any bit of "reduced" sign on would be appreciated. Maybe a desktop password manager is the easier way to go.

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 03:24:16 pm »
Well I think you will find zentyal suits your requirements. I would run it alongside what you have with a basic setup. Get used to its operation.

There has been rumour of LTSP in the pipeline and having zero clients running from zentyal would sound perfect for your environ.

When you get a bit of confidence I think you might find it easier to consolidate onto a single box and use what remains as a redundant server.

I have one question in terms of DB admin and that can you restore a 32 bit database into a 64 or are the paging systems different?

Maybe someone else can answer that as two be honest I have always gone from like to like.

EDIT: yeah had a browse and should be fine

« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:31:37 pm by stuartiannaylor »

jimmyland

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 10:33:08 pm »
Thanks for all the help and good ideas. I'm sure I'll be back here with more question as I start to integrate all the systems.