Author Topic: How do I "add" the local user "squeezebox" to the "__USERS__" group ?  (Read 2697 times)

Reinhold

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Hi ALL

I need to access:

/home/samba/shares/music which is owned (obviously) by  ebox  __USERS__  i.e. belongs to the domain users group

How do I "add" the local user "squeezebox" to the "__USERS__" group ?

Note: "squeezebox" is the uid that runs a local music-service via port 9000 and I need to give "him" access to the samba shared music files...
(there is another thread "Squeeezboxserver needs open ports 9000 and 3483" on my Squeezebox venture)

Regards
Reinhold

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:39:03 pm by Reinhold »

jjm1982

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How do I "add" the local user "squeezebox" to the "__USERS__" group ?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 08:45:19 pm »
Couldn't you just add squeezebox as an authenticated user to the list of users that have access to the directory?

Not sure if it's possible because squeezebox would have to be listed as a user in Zentyal and if that's the case, you can use Apache Directory Studio to add squeezebox to the LDAP by copying another users information. This is what I had to do to add my admin user to the list of users.

Reinhold

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 09:39:48 pm »
Hi jjm1982

...This is what I had to do to add my admin user to the list of users.
...YESsss don't you hate it that your zentyal admin user is local only!  And I am sure 90% of ZentyalAdmins do  8) (see the other thread <lol>)

I am not familiar with Apache Directory Studio. Will look into it right now <g> - THANKS

OTOH isn't there a "simple" CLI procedure to "just do it"

Regards
Reinhold

jjm1982

• Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 11:01:13 am »
I wasn't familiar with apache directory studio either. I ended up installing Eclipse, then installing it that way. After that it seemed intuitive. Googling it should help. I did get stuck on trying to connect to LDAP with the proper credentials. You're able to connect without authentication but then you are only able to read it. I stumbled on a few topics here and it turns out you have to use your ROOT DN and the Password in LDAP Settings to authenticate with. Of course, I'd suggest making a backup of LDAP before messing around with it.

christian

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 11:08:42 am »
For very simple modification, you can still use ldapmodify command using LDIF file.
Or install LDAP graphic client on your PC:
- Apache directory studio is one option (although a bit on the heavy side but works very well)
- lighter: Jxplorer http://jxplorer.org/
- LDAPexplorer: http://ldaptool.sourceforge.net/