Author Topic: eBox 0.11.99 testing packages for Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)  (Read 8067 times)

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
eBox 0.11.99 testing packages for Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)
« on: March 31, 2008, 09:20:39 am »
Hello fellow eBox users!

The development team are still working hard in porting eBox to Ubuntu. The 0.11.99 release is going to be included in Ubuntu Hardy and now it is high time to test the beta packages prior final Ubuntu launching.

As previously, porting eBox to a new platform involves changes in all the modules, and while a lot of care has been taken in this process, you will probably
find some rough edges. That's why your help is so important to us. Your reports are our most valuable resource in our effort to gradually polish the platform, so be sure to report these issues.

Important Disclaimer

This is a beta version and it's not intended to be used in production systems. Please be advised that your system might end up in an unusable state.

Remember that eBox overwrites configuration for some network services, so it’s not recommended to have them previously configured (or their
configuration could be lost). Anyway, eBox will ask to overwrite any file you have been modified manually.

eBox is meant to be run in a dedicated machine.

List of available modules

• libebox
  • ebox
  • ebox-ca
  • ebox-dhcp
  • ebox-dns
  • ebox-firewall
  • ebox-network
  • ebox-ntp
  • ebox-objects
  • ebox-openvpn
  • ebox-printers
  • ebox-samba
  • ebox-services
  • ebox-squid
  • ebox-usersandgroups

Pending modules

• ebox-mail
  • ebox-mailfilter
  • ebox-soap
  • ebox-software
  • ebox-trafficshaping

How to install

As eBox packages are in Universe Ubuntu repository, the process is easier than Gutsy version. Get an Ubuntu Hardy server edition ISO [1] and installing as usual.

After that, install those eBox package you may need. If you want all of them, run this command:

Code: [Select]
$ sudo apt-get install ^ebox

Ignore every question done by eBox dependencies. ebox package asks you two question regarding to:
  • Password: Instead of setting ebox as default password, it will ask you to set a custom one
  • Administration port: to avoid issues with current Apache installed applications

Acknowledgments
Thanks to the Ubuntu developers who started the eBox packaging process for Ubuntu. It's been very useful to keep working from that point.

[1] http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 09:23:32 am by sixstone »
My secret is my silence...

La3875

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: eBox 0.11.99 testing packages for Ubuntu Hardy (8.04)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:39:16 am »
"It Works"  That's what I got when I installed the Hardy Beta and then eBox. I guess that means I was successful? I think in the documentation you need to make it clear that you only install the core of Hardy server as I think I was getting an error previously because I had installed some of the other server packages?

Best and looking forward to the final release!

bogus

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:29:46 am »
@LA

May be you try https://<ebox-IP>
At least I got the ebox login from there.

Anyhow, everything went fine for me, but when I configure VLAN trunks they are not created.
In Network/Interfaces they are listed and all the details are their but not in summary or with ifconfig.
Even a reboot did not help.

Before with debian sarge it worked fine.

Any ideas?

bogus

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 10:43:22 am »
OK, found it.

Just had to enable Network in Modules status.

drdebian

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 08:13:05 pm »
Now that Ubuntu 8.04 has been released, how will the pending modules ever make it into the Ubuntu repositories? Will there parallel ones specific to eBox again or will they be published in the backports repository?