Author Topic: Combine two adsl connection  (Read 4809 times)

fardatxo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Combine two adsl connection
« on: October 27, 2011, 02:51:58 pm »
Hi all,

I would like to know if it's possible to combine or joint two diferents adsl lines as one two duplicate the bandwidth. Currently I have one Zentyal server we use as Proxy, this server has three phisycal interfaces: eth0 is connecte to the swicht LAN, and eth1 is connected to an ADSL router, the eth2 is not connected but I had other adsl router with its own internet line connection.

Best regards,

christian

Re: Combine two adsl connection
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 02:56:51 pm »
It really depends on what you target when you write "duplicate bandwidth".

If your expectation is to have twice bandwidth you have compared to one single ADLS link for one single download, then the answer is no.
If you expectation is to spread multiple sessions across 2 links so that both have full "one link" bandwidth, then answer is yes and this can be achieved using Zentyal load balancing features.
Reason behind this is that 2 ADSL links mean 2 different IP addresses therefore 2 different network routes.

TropiRed

• Zen Apprentice
  • Internet via Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:29:35 pm »
Hola amigo!

... combine or joint two diferents adsl lines as one two duplicate the bandwidth.

You can combine them to provide more available bandwidth in total but it will not become one bigger, faster "pipe". It's still two separate pipes, and it really becomes visible when you have incoming traffic, as that traffic will only enter through one of your WAN ports. There is one exception to this, I will mention it last in my reply. For now, no, its not faster, it is just more::)

... three physical interfaces: eth0 is connecte to the swicht LAN, and eth1 is connected to an ADSL router, the eth2 is not connected but I had other adsl router with its own internet line connection.

We run four ADSL lines, connected via radio to the zentyal box from four different sites in town. We have different speeds at each downlink which in turn creates its own little magic in allocating bandwidth to the network. It's tuned carefully in the bandwidth limiter to avoid lost traffic (works great for this!). Use the real measured speed and allow for a decrease of the reported / tested speeds with some 5-10% - recommendation from experience.

Now, the interesting part - using firefox on a box via the admin port (our Zentyal box hosts 7 physical NIC, 2 LAN, 4 WAN + 1 management) and the Downthemall download manager I managed to download a Linux ISO at a total speed of nearly 35Mbit. Our downlinks have got about 10Mbit each. It was done as a test, using four different mirrors at Ubuntu and downloading a 4 Gb file does provide enough sustained download to test the theory.

The answer is : Yes, it will most definitely be a good idea, if your network is heavy on multiple connections to the Internet. And, no, it will not help you double your speed except in a rare case like I described here.

The most useful result we have got from this, partly because of our geographically spread out downlinks, is the on-line time, it's near 100% (the near is due to human error. My errors. I am human...  :-X ) Just activate WAN fail-over for the two gateways you now have, set a rule for checking the internet access on each (http requests seems most reliable) and off you go. Voila - no more hanged routers crashing business.

Ok, so what about the There is one exception to this ?

If your ISP provide bonding on there side and you use true identical network equipment on both lines, they could help you "merge" the traffic on their side and in that way your face to the world would be one. Not two.
... I don't expect them to provide this, though, since they could just as well hand you a more powerful link ...

And is there anything negative to say about the balancing act? Yes, some sites are "over-sensitive" to where your traffic come from, such as on-line banking, web mail servers and other "log-in" places. If you in the middle of the session suddenly have another IP address as origin, you will be forced to log in again and data entered will have been lost. The load-balancing's rules configuration is the answer to this issue. Handle with care.

Good luck, Zentyal is a good friend when piecing servers together!

christian

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 08:24:03 am »
Very well explained  ;)
Regarding bonding, however, I would comment that if ultimate goal is to reach better availability, one should better rely on different ISP, result being less opportunity to benefit from bonding.
Another point to be understood for what concerns high availability: before reaching ISPs infrastructure, you still have single point of failure from your premises to DSLAM...

But these comments are very little compared to your clear explanation  :D

TropiRed

• Zen Apprentice
  • Internet via Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 01:39:02 am »
Regarding bonding, however, I would comment that if ultimate goal is to reach better availability, one should better rely on different ISP, result being less opportunity to benefit from bonding.

110% agree, and that is what we are doing. (Unfortunately, as things are here in Spain we still use the copper controlled by Feletonica (...) but its a question of time before we hitch a ride on our first optical.)

Another point to be understood for what concerns high availability: before reaching ISPs infrastructure, you still have single point of failure from your premises to DSLAM...

So true. Dual Zentyal in server room, swap servers, another backup server at cross point for where radios can reroute traffic should weight 1 route fall etc etc. Availability sounds like a marketing hype until you start serving clients. THEN it's your reputation your playing for.

I do explanations like this everyday to my colleges, since they pay the bills :)

//Mike