Author Topic: [SOLVED] DHCP fixed address not working in new version 2.0.21  (Read 2452 times)

aacevedo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
I have two separate Zentyal installations on separate networks. A 2.0.16 version and a more recent 2.0.21 installation.

I noticed there is a difference in the DHCP screen where the fixed addresses are configured. In the older version there is a table where one inputs directly the information for the fixed addresses: name, MAC Address, Ip Address and an optional description. On this server I have no dynamic ranges and the fixed addresses work just fine. All the client computers (mix of windows and ubuntus) keep their defined fixed addresses even when the lease is renewed.

On the 2.0.21 installation the interface was changed. Now it asks for an object, but even though I configured the objects and their members accordingly it is not assigning the fixed address.

This is my setup:
Object: Computer1
Member of computer1 --> IP address: 10.10.10.11, MAC Address: uu:vv:ww:xx:yy:zz
Object: Computer2
Member of computer2 --> IP address: 10.10.10.12, MAC Address: aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
and so forth...

DHCP Static interface on eth1
DHCP Ranges
Interface IP Address: 10.10.10.100
subnet: 10.10.10.0/24
Available range: 10.10.10.1 - 10.10.10.254

Ranges

Fixed Addresses
I added objects Computer1 and Computer2

I have tried three differente scenarios:
Scenario1: I deleted the dynamic ranges
Result: could not connect to the server, did not obtain an IP address

Scenario 2: I added the dynamic range shown above
Result: Computer1 got IP 10.10.10.101 and computer2 got IP 10.10.10.102 (dynamically assigned ignoring the fixed address from the object)

Scenario 3: I changed the IP address in the objects configuration to:
computer1: 10.10.9.11
computer2: 10.10.9.12
I did this following the note on the screen that says: "Only those objects whose IP address is a host, a valid MAC, the IP address is not used by the available range and whose name is unique as fixed address will be used". I wasn't sure about the "available range" part, so I tried a differente subnet but ...
Result: Computer1 got IP 10.10.10.101 and computer2 got IP 10.10.10.102 (dynamically assigned again).

I read the manual but it still shows the way it was done in version 2.0.16 which is working for me in my other network. The IPs are hosts addresses (/32) and the MAC addresses were double checked, I tried assigning IPs not in the ranges for the object but nothing works. Is anybody else having the same problem?

What am I missing here?

Kind regards,
Alejandro
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:35:14 pm by aacevedo »

Sam Graf

Re: DHCP fixed address not working in new version 2.0.21
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:55:24 am »
The available range part means that static addresses can't be assigned from addresses within a defined dynamic range. It looks like you're doing that part correctly.

In fact, I'm not seeing where your setup is going wrong. I just finished setting up two new Zentyal servers and didn't encounter this problem in either one. Creating the fixed address object is essentially the same procedure as the old method of adding them directly to the DHCP configuration. As long as the fixed address object is added to the DHCP configuration of the internal interface, it all should work.

All of which isn't helping you at all, except that it appears your setup isn't obviously wrong ...

Did you by any chance restart the DHCP service after configuration, just to see if that made any difference?

aacevedo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] DHCP fixed address not working in new version 2.0.21
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 07:47:21 pm »
Problem was that the names of the Members of the Objects had blank spaces within them. I remembered having read something about this in the forum, so out of lucky inspiration I checked the names, erased all the blank spaces and now is working.

I suppose it has to do with the "valid hostname" part.

Thanks for your interest, Sam!

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:41:42 pm »
I faced that problem a couple of times. Can't find the message right now, but a member of our forum said once:
Only use lowercase, no spaces, and you'll never have a problem

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:37 pm »
I faced that problem a couple of times. Can't find the message right now, but a member of our forum said once:
Only use lowercase, no spaces, and you'll never have a problem

Guilty  ::)

Marcus

aacevedo

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] DHCP fixed address not working in new version 2.0.21
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 11:51:31 pm »
You know? That is a fine quote! I'm going to print it out, frame it and hang it on the wall  ;)