Author Topic: DHCP Server not working?  (Read 9544 times)

sixstone

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • Sixstone's blog
Re: DHCP Server not working?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:00 pm »
Hi there,

Is the DHCP module enabled and running? Check the NICs are properly set and check the output of dhclient from Linux.

Is there any other DHCP server in the same LAN? Is the router linked using a switch to the LAN or directly connected to Zentyal?

Best,
My secret is my silence...

robb

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 04:11:21 pm »
Strange case, since this _should be_ a rather basic network config.
Can you doublecheck all your settings, check connections and if you are able to reach each device involved by ping/trace on both IP address and name.

Do you have a firewall active? (on clients and/or Zentyal)

rondomzorg

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 11:26:37 am »
In reply to both messages above, i have the following setting:

ADSL (with DHCP <- i can't switch it off but that should not be a problem since i use the other nic as DHCP server for internal use). <- it's connected to -> zentyal server.
The modem is connected by a cat5 utp cable from the modem to eth1 and has an ip adresss of 192.168.2.254. I gave zentyal 192.168.2.100 as static and check the external checkbox).

Zentyal (eth0 = 192.168.3.1) this is connected with a cat5 utp cable to my laptop. When i put in a static ip on my laptop it works fine, but if want to use the DHCP it fails.

I guess a zentyal firewall should not make a difference and i only have the windows firewall on my laptop with windows 7 as operating system. Have Ubuntu 11.04 also installed <-- getting nothing from dhclient.

Kind Regards.

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 01:33:48 pm »
DHCP requests are broadcasted. If your modem-router receives the requests it will try to answer and conflict with your Zentyal DHCP server.
If you route all traffic through your Zentyal server, you can block all requests to your modem's internal IP on port 67/udp in your firewall, or you could just forward all requests to port 67/udp to your Zentyal server.