Author Topic: issue with Sending and Receiving POP3 Emails through Zentyal  (Read 4211 times)

jide

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
ZENYTAL 2.0 Based on Ubuntu 10.04
THIS SYSTEM IS CURRENTLY RUNNING IN A PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENT AT A CLIENT SITE.
HARDWARE IS DELL POWEREDGE T110

INTERNET CONNECTION IS VIA A MODEM FROM ISP WTIH AND RJ45 INTERFACE. IT IS CURRENTLY THE GATEWAY.

we are currently using a Cloud hosted email server application and use POP3 and microsoft outlook to send and download our mails directly from the internet . After installing Zentyal and putting it in as our internet gateway we have had periodic issue with sending and receiving mail through our Microsoft outlook applicaiton. we dont have any problem browsing but the email sendiing and recieving is highly unreliable until we restart the zentyal server and then it starts to work again. AFter some time it reverts back to the problem. So we have to constantly restart the server if we want to send or recieve our mails as much as 6 times in a working day.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: issue with Sending and Receiving POP3 Emails through Zentyal
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 04:01:41 pm »
Hi Jide,

Do you have traffic shaping enabled? If the answer is affirmative, could you try to disable it to see if the problem disappears?
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

Rotimi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:00:33 pm »
Hi,

Taking over this issue that was opened by Jide, Traffic Shaping is disabled yet issue persists, Kindly assist further.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 03:42:04 pm »
Hi Rotimi,

This is really weird, do you have Zentyal Mailfilter with POP3 proxy enabled? If not, I don't have idea on what could be causing this...
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

robb

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:01:33 pm »
Any logs available? Since troubleshooting in the dark is quite difficult.

Rotimi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:48:11 pm »
Alright Guys,

Let me shed a bit more light into this, we have two domains in-house, first domain exclusively pulls mails from the internet and has no complaints, second domain equally pulls mails from the internet and equally configured on zentyal, furthermore the person(s) complaining most is on this second domain, I guess there might be a conflict issue here since everyone is still connected to the zentyal server.

What i have decided to do is to uncheck "webmail, mail and mail filter" options on the "module status" tab. I believe this disables these options and make the users connect exclusively to the mail server in the cloud.

What's your take on this, I want to observer for 24 hrs.

Cheers

Rotimi

Rotimi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 06:59:11 pm »
Guys,

There is a crictical issue here, users can receive mails but cannot send, Steps i took are outlined above, I have reverted all the changes but issue lingers on, Please assist with this case, I look forward to hearing from you.

robb

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 08:27:23 pm »
I might have a similar problem with sending from an email client, although I don't use POP3(s).

I have Zarafa enabled and connect with my client through IMAP. Now I can send and receive mails through the web interface of Zarafa, but through the mailclient I only receive mails, but can't send.

I haven't given this a lot of attention yet, since I barely use the mail for this maildomain, but in the near future I have to look into this further.

I am thinking of some rule in the firewall or it might just be a relay problem for externally connecting clients. (just thinking out loud here)

Rotimi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:44:46 am »
Hi Guys,

This is affecting my business seriously, we have a hosted email server and users connect to the mailserver through outlook. Right now users can receive but cannot send emails,the error message generated is listed below.

"Your outgoing (SMTP) Server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message,contact your server administrator or internet service provider. The server responded: 452 41.184.48. has exceeded IP rate-limit."

If the Zentyal server is bypassed, everything will work fine, clients can equally use their webmail, but they CANNOT send emails with the Zentyal server as the gateway. please assist urgently.

robb

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 10:49:53 am »
The server responded: 452 41.184.48. has exceeded IP rate-limit."

Is there anywhere in your zentyal SMTP mail config a misstyped IP adres, since 452 obviously outranges IP4 scope. And I do not see a . (dot) between first and second number in IP address.

Rotimi

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 11:18:45 am »
Thanks Zen,

The Zentyal server is not configured to be a mail server, hence not needing to put in any IP address as smtp, the IP details posted is same as is displayed on the error icon on outlook. There must be something stopping emails from going out, i think it is needful to clarify that the server is not configured as a mail server, it should simply allow traffic to pass through.