Author Topic: load balancing doesn't work properly  (Read 3271 times)

Honza007

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
load balancing doesn't work properly
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:06:52 am »
Hello,
I just started using Zentyal 2.0-3 VMware disk image using 4 virtual NICs and it doesn't seem to work as I expected:
I have 3 WANs:
Gateway1 (ETH1): 192.168.10.1 (8Mbps/512kbps)
Gateway2 (ETH2): 192.168.9.1 (8Mbps/512kbps)
Gateway3 (ETH3): 192.168.8.1 (8Mbps/512kbps)
(ETH0 is LAN - 192.168.77.0/24)
And load balancing sort of works - if I open several links from here:
https://encrypted.google.com/search?num=100&hl=cs&safe=off&q=what+is+my+ip+address&aq=f&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=
I can see that it round robins IP addresses => load balancing works, however when I start download from single FTP server (multiple files at once) it doesn't loadbalance.

My point is to use single PC with multiple session download (aka downloading 10 files at once from one source) and getting aggregated speed (8+8+8 = 24Mbps).

It did work for me on HW router ASUS RX3042H unfortunately it's only dual wan :(
Any thoughts on this topic?
Thank you very much
best regards
Honza
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:14:36 am by Honza007 »

exekias

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Big Bug Theory
Re: load balancing doesn't work properly
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:31:39 pm »
Hi Honza,

Probably your problem is happening because you are trying balance with the same source client and destination server. Load balancing is not perfect, it's based on routes, and routes are cached. This means that routes to often-used sites will always be over the same provider.

If you try to connect different servers you will see it working.

Best regards

Honza007

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 01:41:36 am »
Hi cperez,
thank you for your reply unfortunately I badly need this to work. Is there any possibility to drop the caches and to make it load balance as I need it?
Thank you in advance
Kindly regards
Honza

toolman1967

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 09:38:43 pm »
Hi Honza007,

All ISP cache routes with other ISP the routes session are called  BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) there is no real way to turn this off, if they did the Internet would not work because the routers would not know how it get the destination that you are trying to get to. Different ISP how different routes that they would take to the destination that you are trying to get to but they weigh the route back so the ISP controls the routes back to you. Ex. ( If the shortest route to the destination IP is going out Gateway 1 but the return path is shortest from Gateway 3  the packets will come back to you thru Gateway 3 and return to you. If the server that you are trying to get to is in the same ISP network as you are in than that is going to be the shortest path back to you so the packets would go out Gateway 2 and come back Gateway 2.)

Best regards
Toolman1967

Honza007

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 10:38:08 pm »
I get your point. However my ASUS RX3042H does what I need why this linux distro can't?

P.S. I can't use ASUS RX3042H anymore as I've three WANs and that ASUS is dual WAN only

robb

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:50:25 pm »
I did a search on aggregation of 3 adsl connections and found this link. Maybe it is of help.

I have played around with zeroshell in the past, but then the software wasn't as developed as it is now. But I don't know it's current status... You might want to try it... :)

Found some more info. With a BSD machine they are 'double natting' and aggregate the internetconnections that way...

And finaly even a howto originally written in german. Here is the English (google) translation: http://tinyurl.com/VTunBondFromGerman
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:58:24 pm by robb »