Author Topic: Configuring for internet adsl modem  (Read 2620 times)

steveraymon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Configuring for internet adsl modem
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:57:11 pm »
Hi
Can anyone give me some advice on configuring the TCPIP settings for a server running Zyental with two network cards.

The setup I want is  ADSLMODEM connected to Card1 card2 connected to LAN with two 18port switches

With Zyental acting as DHCP for the LAN

So I need advice on IP settings for each card and Gateway settings for each card etc and any routing needed between the two cards...

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve.

robb

Re: Configuring for internet adsl modem
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:47:36 am »
If you only have a modem (and not a modem/router combo) eth0 should be connected to the modem. Configure PPPoE settings and mark eth0 as external. Depending on your ISP, if you get a dynamic IP address, set eth0 as dynamic (you get an IP from your ISP) or static, if you have been given a static IP from your ISP.
eth1 should be connected as internal interface and gets a static private IP.
In DHCP module set the private scope in the same subnet as eth1 for IP addresses to be given to the clients on your network.

steveraymon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 01:32:20 pm »
Thanks so much for that, by the way it is a modem/router its the BT BusinnesHub with four ethernet ports...does that make a difference to any of the NIC IP settings...

Thanks
Steve

robb

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 11:03:48 pm »
Yes that can be different.
If you have a modem/router, that device will handle PPPoE. The only thing you have to do is put eth0 in the same subnet as the internal IP of your router. Or when you can put your router in Bridge mode, put eth0 as DHCP client.

If you can not configure your router in Bridge mode, I would advice to put Zentyal in transparant bridge mode. This makes the internal IP address the gateway for your network.

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 02:55:03 pm »
If you can not configure your router in Bridge mode, I would advice to put Zentyal in transparant bridge mode. This makes the internal IP address the gateway for your network.

I may be repeating myself.
If Zentyal is setup as a transparent bridge, then your modem/routers lan port will be the gateway for your network.
Can be confusing sometimes.  ;D

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

robb

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 05:05:31 pm »
In this case the internal IP address of the modem/router is the gateway so you and I are talking about the same thing...  ;)

steveraymon

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »
Thanks for the info,

I think I have all i need now...will be setting it up as advised and testing it later...

Thanks again.