Author Topic: [SOLVED]Problem with DNS cache for locally hosted website.  (Read 3845 times)

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Hello,

I could use a little help setting up the DNS on clients. In short, the problem is this.
All my windows clients have a static IP. The default gateway for them is my Zentyal internal interface IP, and the DNS server is also the Zentyal internal interface IP.
I have enabled the DNS module to be able to make use of the DNS caching feature.

All sites are accessible, but we have our own website locally hosted on the Zentyal box.
That site is not accessible using Zentyal as a DNS cache server!
In Zentyal, I've set up a total of tree DNS servers, first 127.0.0.1 and two Google public DNS as alternatives.

As a workaround, I have set a secondary name server (Google public dns) on the windows clients and in that case our web page resolves just fine.
Opening nslookup and do a query on our website gives the following error:
server failed
And nslookup freaks out on me with this:
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.168.2: Non-existent domain
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server:  UnKnown

Again, with Google DNS set as secondary name server the query is successful, but it seems that the windows clients take the secondary name server as default.

Goal is to be able to use the Zentyal DNS cache as one and only DNS server. I want to make sure that lookups are done on the Zentyal server whenever possible to shave off a few ms.

There must be a quirk somewhere?

Cheers.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:15:01 am by Escorpiom »
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with DNS cache for locally hosted website.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 10:49:49 am »
Some added info:

I understand that nslookup complains about the nxdomain as I set the Zentyal IP as a DNS server. That's because there is no PTR record for that IP, and there never will be because it's local instead of public.

So this is actually nothing to worry about, DNS works fine despite the messages.

EDIT:
I managed to resolve this myself. Now everything works as planned with Zentyal as DNS server on clients.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:09:12 am by Escorpiom »
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...