Author Topic: ebox 1.5 on ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 strange problem  (Read 3053 times)

dmbminaret

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
ebox 1.5 on ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 strange problem
« on: April 21, 2010, 02:23:29 am »
I have a strange issue. Scenario is this:
Install ubuntu lynx beta 1 and ebox 1.5 from repos. Configure gateway and print shares easy as pie. Turn off monitor and works flawlessly for 3 weeks until I try and forward a port to a client then I can't get any http internet, however I can still ping my isp's servers.

I figure a courtesy restart wouldn't hurt then all things go south. The address showing on my external nic is 10.1.1.2 which is nothing like my isp's assigned static address and of course I have no internet. The only way I could fix this was to change the role of the adapter from PPPoE to unassigned then to save then revert back and save again. This took a few times before it worked.

I thought I was ok until I tried to print and the printers were no longer available. I went to a windows xp client and accessed the ebox shares and no printers showed there either. Once again I did a courtesy restart hoping the first problem was a freak occurance. When I started it up again it had that random ip again and everything I tried would not fix it.

I will re-install, but am wondering if it is a bug or something else anyone can think of. Is there anyway I can totally flush that part out so it will get the right address from my isp?

Thanks all.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
Re: ebox 1.5 on ubuntu 10.04 beta 1 strange problem
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:03 am »
Yes, it was a bug that is already fixed in 1.4. But we haven't released new packages of eBox 1.5 yet. Maybe after the final release of 10.04 we'll do it.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

dmbminaret

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:33:23 am »
Thanks for the reply. Great to know it wasn't me going crazy. I am supposing there is no quick fix to amend a file somewhere?

Do you have any time projection yet when 1.5 will be solid? I guess I will use 1.4 on 10.04 until then.

Thanks again.

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:33:14 pm »
Sure, here is the fix (http://trac.ebox-platform.com/changeset/16972), it's very easy indeed. You only have to modify the /usr/share/perl5/EBox/Firewall/IptablesHelper.pm file.

Regarding solidness, note that 1.5 will be always an unstable branch, it will become 2.0 when stable enough. The estimated date for that is July.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

dmbminaret

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:38:13 pm »
Awesome, thanks. Keep up the great work of an excellent project.

dmbminaret

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:27:25 am »

I figure a courtesy restart wouldn't hurt then all things go south. The address showing on my external nic is 10.1.1.2 which is nothing like my isp's assigned static address and of course I have no internet. The only way I could fix this was to change the role of the adapter from PPPoE to unassigned then to save then revert back and save again. This took a few times before it worked.

I have re-installed and configured that file and all is ok besides the above problem still occurring. If I do ifconfig, it shows eth0 as 10.1.1.2, eth1 as 192.168.1.1 (correct) and ppp0 as a point to point connection with my correct isp's static ip address.

I cannot get any data I guess because this 10.1.1.2 is interfering for whatever reason. Is there any way to flush it out or is it another bug in 1.5 that I can fix by modifying a file to get rid of this random address?

I have gotten it to work once out of about 50 times by changing the role of the nic then back again. I shut it down to put another drive in and then same problem. When it did work it still showed the 10.1.1.2 address in the dashboard. Seems like a bug to me.

One other weird thing is a few times it would show an ip address in the gateway (network->gateways) that was not the static ip from the isp but it must have still been from their servers. The first two octets were the same and I could ping their server but no internet obviously.

Thanks again.

Edit: When I go back to modem->dhcp router->ebox server, it wipes out the 10.1.1.2 address and successfully gets an address from the router even though the nic is set to ppp0e.

I wonder if there is any train of thought as to whether the (($method eq 'dhcp') or ($method eq 'ppp')) is being a problem. Should 'ppp' go before 'dhcp' or simply exist by itself if you have a static isp address? I will have a play, but I thought that was for port forwarding, not necessarily isp connection. I'm out of my league, but hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:15:53 pm by dmbminaret »

dmbminaret

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »
For the benefit of others that may come across this, although not yet resolved, I have discovered some new information. Upon further investigation, the modem before the ebox machine has the ip address of 10.1.1.1 so even though it is in bridge mode it is obviously leasing the address 10.1.1.2 for some reason.

It seems strange that it worked before and prior with 1.4 without a problem. I have tried to change the ip address of the modem, but it doesn't seem to want to do that.

To formulate a question in relation to ebox:

In this scenario, is there any way to have the modem connect to isp with credentials and ebox incoming nic be set to static with the static isp ip address?

I am going insane wondering if it is the modem, ubuntu beta or ebox beta.