Author Topic: Network Help  (Read 2282 times)

pmp6nl

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Network Help
« on: April 02, 2011, 01:46:22 am »
Hello,

I am having some issues connecting to the FTP portion of my Zentyal server.

Network setup:

The modem has Network Address Translation enabled.  The modem is using 192.168.0.X and the router is using 192.168.1.X for local ip addresses.

The modem does not port forward FTP to the Zentyal server because I can only port forward in the 192.168.0.X range and not the 192.168.1.X range.

The router port forwards FTP to the Zentyal sever.  I can access FTP locally, but not over the internet (Also I can ftp via the local address but not the internet address while on the same network).  Would the problem be the modem?

If the problem is the modem do I need to disable Network Address Translation or forward the FTP port to the router which will then forward it to the Zentyal server?

Are there any related security concerns?

Thanks for your help! :)

Edit: FTP times out when attempting to access it via the internet.  It gives the following error: "connection attempt failed with "EHOSTUNREACH - No route to host" when on the same network but using the wan IP address.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:54:12 am by pmp6nl »

half_life

• Bug Hunter
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Network Help
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 02:14:08 am »
192.168.0.X is not a routable address.  It is part of the private address space.  Are you sure that the router is assigned 192.168.0.X to it's public or wan side?  If that is in fact true, then you will not be able to access your machine from the internet.

Marcus

• Forum Moderator
  • Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
    • Professional IT Service
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 02:46:54 am »
Hello pmp6nl,

Your Motorola is a modem+router.  You'll need to first make the port forwarding there.

I found a small howto for your device:
http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Motorola/SBG900/eMule.htm

Hope it will help.

Best,

Marcus

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 03:43:25 am »
Marcus is right. The Motorola modem is also a router.
At this point you are doing double routing, this could work but personally I prefer to have only one router.
You could try to dump the Netgear altogether, or put the Motorola in bridge mode if it has that option.
My ISP recently changed out the old Motorola SB5120 for a new Cisco 2420 with router. I just put it in bridge mode and leave the routing to Zentyal itself.
Just my two cents.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

pmp6nl

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 03:22:51 am »
Hello,

Thank you for your help.  It is now working.  I just set the modem/router to bridge mode and I am letting the netgear router handle all of the rest of it.

Is it correct to setup the zentyal server in a DMZ?  Will the zentyal server firewall work by default if enabled?  Also, I assume the router has a firewall built in and it wont let any traffic to the other computers on my network?  I just want to make sure only the server can be accessed via the internet and everything is secure.

Thanks again for all of your help.