Author Topic: Installing ebox-mail without courier  (Read 1953 times)

corona

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Installing ebox-mail without courier
« on: October 07, 2008, 02:05:28 am »
So I've fixed never-ending SSL problem with courier imap and pop by replacing them with dovecot. It was surprisingly easy to setup, install dovecot-imap and dovecot-pop3 with apt-get, and then set up dovecot's ldap and maildir settings and it was up and running. (I'll post a seperate howto).

Problem is removing courier also removed ebox-mail, which means I can't add/change mail accounts from ebox anymore. Is there any way to reinstall ebox-mail plugin without it automatically reinstalling courier?

Cheers,
Andrew

corona

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Installing ebox-mail without courier
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 03:04:37 am »
This is actually a really big problem for me now. Not having ebox-mail module means I can't make new email accounts/aliases/etc. I tried a force install of the deb with dpkg (on a testing server) and that worked, bringing the module back into ebox, but now every time I try to do anything with apt-get it wants to remove dovecot and install courier, not a good result.

Can I install just that module from source or something? Will it all install into the right places and work like the deb? Or maybe do a build-dpkg and remove the dependancies or something?

Thanks,
Andrew

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 12:35:24 pm »
So I've fixed never-ending SSL problem with courier imap and pop by replacing them with dovecot. It was surprisingly easy to setup, install dovecot-imap and dovecot-pop3 with apt-get, and then set up dovecot's ldap and maildir settings and it was up and running. (I'll post a seperate howto).

What was the problem with SSL and courier?

corona

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 12:29:18 am »
It was a combination of the logs getting filled with ssl3 version wrong errors(http://forum.eboxplatform.com/index.php?topic=638.0), and courier not responding on the ssl ports for some clients (lots of problems with outlook and osx mail, thunderbird was fine however I think). imap SSL on port 143 worked fine, but not on 993, same problem with pop. My boss could not get a full nights sleep because there was always some user overseas rigning up saying they could not get their mail.

It seemed as soon as I got one thing working something else was broken. It really feels like courier ssl support in the current version is somewhat broken. No matter what I tried I could not get the SSL ports to respond properly.

Since I switched to dovecot it has been remarkable stable ever since, not one complaint.

Andrew

javi

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 12:48:51 am »
I've been some issue with outlook and courier, different versions of outlook behaved differently when dealing with SSL/TLS.

It was already planned to switch to dovecot a while ago. We'll give it some love and we'll have both packages around until courier is eventually deprecated. I have to admit dovecot conf is more sane :)