Author Topic: Getting started with Zentyal development  (Read 23501 times)

jsalamero

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Getting started with Zentyal development
« on: March 21, 2011, 06:59:02 pm »
Hi all Zentyal community members,

we have just started a serie of posts on Zentyal development, check it out the first one on http://bq.cauterized.net/2011/03/21/getting-started-with-zentyal-development/!

We will be glad to help anyone willing to contribute new features on Zentyal.

Regards,

stuartiannaylor

Re: Getting started with Zentyal development
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 12:16:01 am »
I have just been trying to have a look at the zentyal development software.

The dir /usr/share/zentyal/stubs/zmoddev-2.2 is referenced at various points as zmoddev the version number is always in the script. Should the version number be appended or should the dir be changed to zmoddev?

Is there an update on the development guide as things seem slightly out of sync. Running 2.2 from apt-get install zentyal... on vanilla ubuntu.

Stuart

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:13:48 am »
Hi stuart,

Yes, it is a known issue and we will release a new package including the fix very soon (we are waiting to include other fixes because more issues will appear for sure). In the meanwhile you can just copy or link zmoddev-2.2 to zmoddev (which should be the real name).

Take into account that zmoddev and the tutorial are in an alpha version :) But with your feedback we can make both great.

Thank you and don't hesitate to report any other issue!
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

stuartiannaylor

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 06:31:18 am »
Its no problem and thanks. I guess I will just create a link.

I ran ahead and renamed to zmoddev and I guess that is why I have run into further problems.

I am just taking the plunge with pearl as I believe the developer side could be hugely beneficial for adopters and service suppliers.

Any chance of a developers forum ?

Stuart

Stefan69

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 09:30:17 am »
yeah same problem trying everything.
weed

robb

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 11:15:03 am »
Stefan69, you are aware you are replying to a thread of more than 1,5 years ago?

The blogpost in the first post is already obsolete since Zentyal repository switched from SVN to GIT a long time ago.

BrettonWoods

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:41:00 pm »
Robb,

It would be good to have a forum for Zentyalite Devs.

I know the repo's have swapped and much has been added to the last chapter of the documentation and scripting and customisation.

Still we do seem a little shy on information for full blown app development and an area to exchange this might be good.

Maybe just use the gathering section and hopefully maybe a simple tutorial on module creation?

Ola Al Hossary

• Zen Apprentice
  • I am the principal of an educational institution
    • View Profile
    • City College International FZC
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 09:04:11 am »
Good move guys. The new Zentyal development software is a cool option and really interesting to watch. I am sure you will certainly upload the new pictures and new features to the site and make it more attractive.

Ola Al Haydri
Principal
http://www.citycollegefujairah.com/
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 11:13:20 am by pondshus2 »

gillecaluim

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 11:29:52 pm »
The documentation for getting started with zentyal development is fragmented and refers to older versions of zentyal (pre-4.0).
I've got a ubuntu 14.04 VM running with eclipse/EPIC for editing/debugging.
I've git clone zentyal main to my workspace.

what else do I need? any other dependencies? any CPAN modules needed or is everything included in the git src tree?

thanks, Robert

J. A. Calvo

• Zentyal Staff
  • Zen Hero
    • View Profile
    • http://blogs.zentyal.org/jacalvo
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 11:52:35 am »
The documentation for getting started with zentyal development is fragmented and refers to older versions of zentyal (pre-4.0).
I've got a ubuntu 14.04 VM running with eclipse/EPIC for editing/debugging.
I've git clone zentyal main to my workspace.

what else do I need? any other dependencies? any CPAN modules needed or is everything included in the git src tree?

If you refer to the blog in the original post of the thread, yes, that's outdated, but the tutorial of the wiki (https://wiki.zentyal.org/wiki/Tutorial) to create a new module should work with 4.0, there are no recent changes in the framework, anyway let us know any problem you may find and we'll do our best to fix it. It's true that there is not too much documentation, but the existing one at least should work.

Cloning main from the master branch as workspace is perfectly ok, regarding the dependencies, we don't use any CPAN module, all our Perl dependencies are packaged for Ubuntu (as .deb), you can see the dependencies of each module in its debian/control file, but that means also they are not included in the git src tree, only the Zentyal code is there.
Zentyal Server Lead Developer

efarayenkay

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »
Since this website has died but has made it into the Internet Archive, is the info still relevant or has the process changed since then?