Author Topic: Trying to get DNS working with domain registration  (Read 2505 times)

Deadpool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Trying to get DNS working with domain registration
« on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:30 am »
Hi all.  I am trying to get the domain name server working but it is not working properly.  I configured everything that i could and followed some guide online and it still doesn't work.  I can't click on transparent cache and i have firewall enabled.  Tried pinging the hostname, hostname.lan doesn't work either.  I configured dhcp and that works and i can ping the address but not through the hostname.  Any help would be appreciated thanks.

christian

Re: Trying to get DNS working with domain registration
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 08:39:12 am »
It will be easier to discuss this here rather than chatting  ;)

If I rephrase your question: you can't DHCP clients names.  Is it correct?

This could be due to:
- leases not registered in DNS  :-\
- you type the wrong name   :-[
- DNS not used  ::)

In order to investigate, could you please tell us:
- what is the operating system for clients: from this we will look at what is really inherited from DHCP.
- what is you domain name
- what "search domain" is configured in DHCP
- what is configured in DNS. Any dynamic domain here?

Deadpool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 08:42:29 am »
yeah i can't dhcp client names, the current operating systems are windows and ubuntu clients.  the domain i put as 127.0.0.1 for the zenyal box and the domain name i put cchrc i don't have a search domain. is that necessary.  Sorry i am a complete newbie at this i want dynamic domain and have put cchrc as the dynamic domain where cchrc is the localhost(zentyal box) in the dns area i added 127.0.0.1 as a domain and that is under infrastructure->dns under core->network->dns i have added 127.0.0.1 under the domain name server resolver list
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 08:45:43 am by Deadpool »

Deadpool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:20:06 am »
Can anyone help me troubleshoot and fix the problem?

christian

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:40:01 am »
1 - "cchrc" is definitely not a valid (outside) domain name. some extension is missing. Since, inside, it can be used like this.
2 - If you want to ping devices using FQDN, either you have to type the fqdn (and not the host name) or you have to set search domain
3 - is there any known issue with DCHP registering in DNS? I'm not using this feature so I don't know. I'll check once back.

Deadpool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:19 am »
i just got the dns working but can't add a windows machine to the domain and the dhcp leases the windows machine shows up on the dashboard but the ubuntu machine doesn't but the ubuntu machine gets a dhcp address so dunno what is going on.  Do I have to set something on ubuntu to make see the dhcp lease on the dashboard.  oh yeah dns doesn't work on ubuntu but i figure if zentyal can see the dhcp lease it will work but don't know where to start or what to do.

Deadpool

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 11:11:42 am »
Ok I got the domain resolved but now I am trying to get a windows machine added onto the domain.  So when I go to computer->system properties-> computer name-> and click member of domain and add cchrc to the domain i get an error. http://pastebin.com/hk9brH1Z.  I can ping the hostname.cchrc and it works so i don't know what is going on.  Oh yeah i have dhcp enabled.  I have tried nslookup of other hostnames and it works and i have tried ipconfig /all and it shows everything is allright.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 11:42:26 am by Deadpool »