Author Topic: Enable addl. HD in Zentyal? [SOLVED]  (Read 2932 times)

EricLorenz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Enable addl. HD in Zentyal? [SOLVED]
« on: December 29, 2010, 08:38:57 am »
Hi all:

I apologize if this appears to some as a noob question....I am still fairly new with Linux, and this (and one at our (small) church where I am IT Dir.)are the first 2 Zentyal installs I've done.

The machine in question is our small home server. 2 drives- a 10Gb where the system is installed, and an addl. 80Gb. This was originally an Ubuntu Server 10.04 that I did a 'package upgrade' on to install Zentyal.

I guess I was not paying too colse attention during the original Ubuntu install- I *thought* that both HD's got partitioned and formatted, but now after the Zentyla install it appears not. So my question is...is this something I can take care of in Zentyal (getting the addl. 80Gb online), or do I still have to do that in the underlying Ubuntu system? And how? Thanks for the help.

Eric Lorenz

UPDATE...I had put this away for awhile...but finally decided to probe a little further. I ran the configuration report, and lo and behold found out what happened. Here is what it showed-

Disk /dev/sda: 10.0 GB, 10005037056 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1216 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000a69f3

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1          32      248832   83  Linux
Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sda2              32        1217     9519105    5  Extended
/dev/sda5              32        1217     9519104   8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/sdb: 82.0 GB, 81964302336 bytes
188 heads, 59 sectors/track, 14432 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 11092 * 512 = 5679104 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0009f8b8

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1         278     1540096   82  Linux swap / Solaris

So for some reason during the install, LVM decided to put the /swap partition on the 80Gb HD.

what I'd like is for all the base system partitions to be on the 10Gb HD, and the 80Gb HD to be for a data partition. Can I go in and switch the partitions around without having to reinstall the whole system?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:27:16 pm by EricLorenz »

EricLorenz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Enable addl. HD in Zentyal?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:52:19 am »
Just bumping this to see if anyone might have an answer for me...thanks!

Eric

Josep

• Zen Samurai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:24:05 am »
Drive partitioning has nothing to do with Zentyal.
You would be better served posting these questions in the Ubuntu forums.
Anyway, it will be faster to just start over and pay more attention to that installation step.
Those drives are small, and the 10GB will complicate things unnecessarily.
You could try to do without it and use a simple partitioning scheme without LVM.
If you really want to use it, then you could try to reserve a 2GB ext2 partition for the 80GB drive with the /boot folder, create LVM volume groups for the rest of the drive and the 10GB one.
The you can distribute those volume groups in volumes at will.

EricLorenz

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 09:08:44 am »
I did end up re-installing...we will see if I made better choices this time. The reason I wanted to use both drives is I wanted the max amount of space available. I figured to have Ubuntu/Zentyal installed on the 10G drive, and have the 80g available all for data.

Jose, I went back and read your post again, and I guess I was kind of irked...your post seemed kind of flippant. I went back and re-read it several times before I wrote this but it didn't change.

I am new to Linux, and I am trying to learn. The box in question is mainly to house music & other files and to act as a home server. It is what I have. I wanted to use 2 drives exactly for that reason...to maximize my drive space- I realize that you were trying to help, but I really didn't know what to do with your response. I guess I need to do some more reading before coming here for help...?

BTW, I DID post this over in the Ubuntu forums also, and got no response. Very disappointing.
Maybe I should've been clearer, but I guess I needed a little more direction. You told me *what* I could do, but I need help with *how* to do it. Moot point anyway.

Thanks,
Eric
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 05:32:38 pm by EricLorenz »

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Enable addl. HD in Zentyal? [SOLVED]
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »
I had to do the same thing - more or less. I'm a complete n00b when it comes to Linux.
Zentyal is installed on a WD Velociraptor 160GB. That should be enough for the system, but I wanted to make it a file server also.
So I put two extra harddrives in the box, Samsung two TB each.
One drive was previously formatted NTFS and had some files on it. The other drive was still clean.

Ofcourse, Zentyal does not show the drive in the web interface. So I tried with Gparted and saw that they were both present. Guess the kernel supports them at boot.
The drive formatted as NTFS was detected instantly and all my files were OK. Nice considering that Linux not always reads NTFS formatted disks.
Next step was create a partition on the clean disk. I did not like Gparted because it did not align!
So I used fdisk and that created an aligned partition. Formatted as ext4.
The procedure is outlined here:

Code: [Select]
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingANewHardDrive
The tricky part is this: You have to "mount" the drive so it becomes accessible as described in the article.
After doing that, I shared the drives with Samba through the web interface. Even the acl's worked straight away!
Just keep in mind that the path is case-sensitive, I found out the hard way.

Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...