Author Topic: Loadbalancing with same gateways?  (Read 2927 times)

w00t

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Loadbalancing with same gateways?
« on: April 26, 2011, 09:08:01 pm »
I'm trying to use Zentyal to create a multiwan network. However, I have some problems to configure multiple gateways, and then load balancing.

First of all, I do not use different ISP's, only one with multiple IP's. My ISP provides me five IP addresses. My connection is 100Mbit downstream shared on the all five IP addresses. And 10Mbit upstream PER IP address. In practice, five computers can simultaneously upload with 10Mbit (in total 50Mbit). But one computer can only upload in 10Mbit as maximum.

Right now I use a pfSense box (FreeBSD) for load balancing (like a round-robin type), which gives me 100Mbit download and 50Mbit upload to a single computer behind the box. This works like a charm.

But I stumbled upon Zentyal and considering to combine web server, torrentserver, HTPC etc. in a single box. Cause sure Zentyal can do the same type of combining my IP's?  ??? :)

The IP's is not static, they are assigned as DHCP from my ISP.

( IP's are made up :) )

IP1 = 85.100.101.10
IP2 = 85.100.101.11
IP3 = 85.100.101.12
IP4 = 85.100.101.13
IP5 = 85.100.101.14

All have the same gateway = 85.100.101.1

The problem is that, of course, all my IP addresses have the same gateway address. Which means that when I configure eth1,2,3,4,5 as DHCP and External Interface, I get the error message that "85.100.101.1" already exists. Which makes the "Gateway tab" inaccessible and only this error-message is posted.

To make a long story short, since the load balancing service is based in having different gateways is there any way to use the service WITH same gateways? :p

Regards.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 01:02:49 pm by w00t »

rellwood

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Loadbalancing with same gateways?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:32:31 am »
Try looking here: http://forum.zentyal.org/index.php?topic=6752.0

In short, I put a router between each WAN connection and the Zentyal, so that I could NAT each one to have a different gateway address.

It sure would be nice if Zentyal didn't have this limitation, but this workaround takes care of it.

Richard

w00t

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:39:31 pm »
So, you mean i should purchase 5 routers..? :p no thanks!

It should be kinda of easy to bypass, in Gentoo for example you can make the interfaces you want to NOT use their default gateway with "dhcpcd -G *interface*". That would maybe do the trick. But my Linux knowledge is kinda tiny so I would need some help with this!

Anyone?

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 09:03:46 am »
Do you have 5 physical connections to the box or is it a single cable?
Did you try setting up virtual interfaces as DHCP on the external interface?

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...

w00t

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:17:07 am »
Both.

The problems seems to be that when all my WAN-links have the same gateway the webinterface gives me an error output "ip adress is already in use" or something similar and gateway-tab gets unaccessable.

rellwood

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:03:37 am »
Hi,

I solved this problem by putting a simple NAT router on each WAN port, and making each a gateway that has a unique IP.  It also helps to have the Zentyal set on the DMZ for each router, and disabling any firewall features on each router.

Good luck!
Richard

w00t

• Zen Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59:29 am »
Yeah you already told me that :) And I responded that I don't want to buy 5 routers á 100$+ (cheaper will not handle the 100Mbit+5K connections).

Thats not a solution.

Since this forum aint working out that good, anyone knows where I can get in touch with someone who is in the dev. team?

Escorpiom

• Zen Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 03:52:16 am »
Try buying a subscription. Professional support might help you out then.
After all the forum is mostly a community of Zentyal users. It doesn't work out for you, but for others it works out fine.

Cheers.
Marcus' Rule:
Blanks & capitals = avoid it and you'll avoid problems...